Is There a Surgery for a Split Earlobe?

My Ears Are Perfect Except my EARLOBES One of Them Has a Slice Going Down the Middle Which Causes It to Seperate. is there a surgery for this??

Is There a Surgery for a Split Earlobe?

Yes. Surgical correction of split earlobes is a common, and generally very safe procedure. In fact, most of the time it is done in the office setting up with local anesthesia only. After it has healed for several months, you can even get them re-pierced if that is what you wish. Wishing you all the best. 

Fixing split earlobes

Fixing partially or completely split earlobes is a minor procedure that can be done with local anesthesia. You can re-pierce the earlobes again, but we ask patients to wait a full three months before doing so.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Split Earlobe Repair and Correction

Split earlobes, torn earlobes, and earlobe piercings and gauging can be easily repaired with a simple office procedure under local anesthesia. It is an outpatient procedure and you can return to most jobs the next day. Sutures are usually removed in 5-7 days. From El Paso, Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Split earlobe repair

Thanks for asking. Earlobes requiring repair can be from a variety of reasons. For example, a torn earlobe from a pulled earring, gauged earlobes that are now unwanted, facelift surgery causing pulled earlobes, or just simply elongated from older age.

Because of the variety of different causes, earlobe repair may vary in complexity. Prices will vary accordingly. and also vary depending on the region of the country you are in and the surgeon's expertise.

Typically to correct a split earlobe, a portion from each side of the split lobe will be removed and then carefully sutured together. I have some special techniques that I employ to minimize scarring and notching that can be seen if not reconstructed properly.

This repair can be performed comfortably under local anesthesia and earlobes can be re-pierced 6 weeks later if desired. Consult with an experienced board certified facial plastic / plastic surgeon in you area.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Earlobe Repair

There are no muscles or major neurovascular structures located within the earlobe. Earlobe repair procedures are easily performed in the office under local anesthesia. Per patient preference, a mild oral sedative, such as Valium, may be added. Patients experience no discomfort during the repair, and the healing afterwards is generally quite rapid.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Split earlobes can be repaired and repierced at the same time.

Split earlobes are repaired under local anesthesia by removing the skin lining the split and sewing together the edges.  The earlobe(s) can be repierced at the same time--so bring small studs with you.  

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Straightforward Fix for a Frustrating Problem

This can be a very frustrating outcome. This is typically an "easy fix", but to achieve the most natural looking correction, I believe this procedure really deserves taking time to carefully plan out the repair. Depending on the severity of the tear, I sometimes prefer to create an “L-shaped” flap, which seems to avoid the notching that occurs with a simple wedge excision. This gives a nice, natural curvature to the lobule. This is an office procedure, performed under local anesthesia, and takes approximately 10 minutes per ear. You can go back to work immediately. Sutures are removed 5-7 days later. Good luck!

Ashlin Alexander, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes there is!

Split earlobe is incredibly common amongst women as well as men, and can be easily repaired. It’s a very straightforward procedure that you can be performed in less than an hour. Essentially, you would be suturing the split lobes together.  Depending on the suture used, they will either dissolve or you will have to go back to your doctor to have them removed a few days later. If you would like to re-pierce the ear, you should wait about a month after the procedure. Do not worry, your earlobes will be back together soon!

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe repair

This is a very common request I see as a plastic surgeon.  The repair involves cutting a small wedge of skin out at the site of the split, then suturing it in a straight line.  It takes about ten minutes a side and the cost is about $250.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Surgery for a Split Earlobe...

Split or torn earlobes are usually caused from earrings that are too heavy for their individual earlobes.  The surgery is a fairly common procedure that is quick and nearly painless.  It is performed in the office under local anesthesia.  The stitches come out in six days and in six weeks it is safe to get your ears re-pierced.  Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic or Plastic Surgeon if you are interested in getting this procedure done.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon