My Earring Ripped my Earlobe a Little but Not All the Way Through. Will I Ever Be Able to Repierce It?

I had my ears pierced for about 4 months. Then I got to big of earrings and it made my ear sag a little. I took them out for about 2 months and I want to re pierce them. As of right now no earrings will go through the hole.

Office Procedure

Torn earlobes can usually be repaired in the office under local anesthesia. Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and schedule a consultation to find out more information.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

5969 East Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43213

Earlobe repair

The earlobe is a sensitive area of tissue and care should be taken to avoid trauma. This should be a relatively easy fix. Our office specializes in earlobe repairs in Los Angeles.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Ear Piercing Closed

It looks like the piercing closed when you stopped wearing earrings.  It should be simple to fix.  You could have your ears re-pierced in the same location or through a different one depending on your preference.  Good luck.

Dr. Weider

Laurence Weider, MD

7777 Forest Lane
Dallas, TX 75230

Ear lobe piercing has closed

This should not be difficult to do. The ear needs to be repierced again. Maybe you should try a new location if this site was stretched.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

1035 Park Ave
New York City, NY 10028

Re-piercing of the ear lobe

The hole will close down over time and you simply need to have it repierced.   This should not be a difficult procedure.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Earlobe repair is not a very difficult procedure

The hole needs to closed. It will leave a small scar that could be imperceptible to you however. 

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

1810 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Earlobe Piercings & Repair

Earlobes have skin on the front and back with lobe filled with fibrofatty tissue ( fat interlaced with fibrous strands). In my experience, sweaters, young children pulling at dangling earrings and sleeping with your earrings in are some of the most common causes of inadvertent tearing of the pierced hole.

• In your case, I would start with simple re-piercing of the hole.
  • If a torn earlobe needs surgical repair, I tell my patients that I will re-pierce a hole adjacent to my repair, but not within the incision. Surgical scars do not have the same strength as undamaged tissue, so the repaired hole will re-injure more easily than a new piercing.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

7373 France Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55435

Ear Lobe Piercing?

Thank you for the question and picture.

If you like the current location of your piercing you should be able to have it re-pierced now with minimal effort or expense.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Earring hole stopped up

Your earlobe tissue healed around the piercing which is why an earring will not go through. This may just require repiercing by a plastic surgeon who can restore the hole. I would not recommend an adjacent piercing as this may be uneven with respect to the other ear and also, if too close to the original hole, could lead to complications.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Ear Piercing

From what you describe, it sounds like the piercing has closed up on the inside and that you will be able to repierce the existing hole to make it patent again from the front through the back of the earlobe. 

Kimberly Lee, MD

416 North Bedford Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210