My Earring Ripped my Earlobe a Little but Not All the Way Through. Will I Ever Be Able to Repierce It?

I had my ears pierced for about 4 months. Then I got to big of earrings and it made my ear sag a little. I took them out for about 2 months and I want to re pierce them. As of right now no earrings will go through the hole.

Office Procedure

Torn earlobes can usually be repaired in the office under local anesthesia. Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and schedule a consultation to find out more information.

Earlobe repair

The earlobe is a sensitive area of tissue and care should be taken to avoid trauma. This should be a relatively easy fix. Our office specializes in earlobe repairs in Los Angeles.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Ear Piercing Closed

It looks like the piercing closed when you stopped wearing earrings.  It should be simple to fix.  You could have your ears re-pierced in the same location or through a different one depending on your preference.  Good luck.

Dr. Weider

Laurence Weider, MD

Ear lobe piercing has closed

This should not be difficult to do. The ear needs to be repierced again. Maybe you should try a new location if this site was stretched.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Re-piercing of the ear lobe

The hole will close down over time and you simply need to have it repierced.   This should not be a difficult procedure.  

Earlobe repair is not a very difficult procedure

The hole needs to closed. It will leave a small scar that could be imperceptible to you however. 

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Piercings & Repair

Earlobes have skin on the front and back with lobe filled with fibrofatty tissue ( fat interlaced with fibrous strands). In my experience, sweaters, young children pulling at dangling earrings and sleeping with your earrings in are some of the most common causes of inadvertent tearing of the pierced hole.

• In your case, I would start with simple re-piercing of the hole.
  • If a torn earlobe needs surgical repair, I tell my patients that I will re-pierce a hole adjacent to my repair, but not within the incision. Surgical scars do not have the same strength as undamaged tissue, so the repaired hole will re-injure more easily than a new piercing.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear Lobe Piercing?

Thank you for the question and picture.

If you like the current location of your piercing you should be able to have it re-pierced now with minimal effort or expense.

Earring hole stopped up

Your earlobe tissue healed around the piercing which is why an earring will not go through. This may just require repiercing by a plastic surgeon who can restore the hole. I would not recommend an adjacent piercing as this may be uneven with respect to the other ear and also, if too close to the original hole, could lead to complications.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Ear Piercing

From what you describe, it sounds like the piercing has closed up on the inside and that you will be able to repierce the existing hole to make it patent again from the front through the back of the earlobe. 

Kimberly Lee, MD