Does Early Revision Rhinoplasty Increase Risk of Skin Necrosis on Nose?

due to scar contracture if the nose tip have positioned itself way up high than intended, if there is an early touch-up revision that is needed (2 months post-op), can it be done? will this increase chances of skin necrosis on the nose?

Early revision after rhinoplasty

+1
There are indications for an early revision after rhinoplasty, particularly in an over shortened nose. For most however, there are far more advantages to waiting ten to twelve months to let the skin soften. There should be little risk of skin necrosis or loss, but secondary or revision rhinoplasty takes a sound plan and careful thought.

Early Revision Rhinoplasty #nosejob

+1

There is no reason to go back in that soon unless you have an emergency. Keep in mind it can take 6-12 months for swelling to go down and for scars to fully mature. As a Rhinoplasty surgeon even If I have a patient in your scenario I will not go back in for a minimum of 6 months but would prefer to wait one year. It is difficult at best to operate on the nose much less in a scarred environment. Wait!!!

Richard J. Brown, MD

Early Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

An early revision (@ 2 months) will not increase the risk of necrosis but I would strongly recommend that you wait  another 8-10 months to allow normal post op healing to progress. The surgery is more difficult at this time and the results are not as predictable. 

Early revision rhinoplasty

+1

It is almost always a good idea to wait until at least six months to one year before revising a nose.

You wouldn't want to operate on swelling!

Even if the nose is destined for a revision, the doctor performing the revision will want to operate on a nose that is not distorted, so he or she can assess what the nose really looks like.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Be patient

+1

In most cases it is better to wait.  The issue is more letting the nose heal and less an issue of skin necrosis.  What you do not like right now may correct itself some with time.  I rarely touch up a nose before 1 year.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon