Is It Too Early to Remove the Silicone Implant in my Nose? Female-asian-24years

I just had my rhinoplasty a week ago (I know it's early) with a L-shaped silicone implant. I didnt realize how having something foreign in my body could affect me. I do not like it at all. I know that the swelling will go down and it will probably look better and better. However, I do not want this silicone or any other surgery done to me/inside me. I was wondering if I could take out the silicone after 2 weeks? Will my nose go back what is was? and what is the healing time(approx)?

Immediate Nasal Implant Regrets - the next step

+1
Yes you can remove your silicone implant anytime, however I would recommend that you at least wait several weeks to months to see what you will look like. You and your surgeon I am sure thougth a lot about it prior to this surgery. I recommend returning to your surgeon and having a heart to heart talk about this.

1 week post-op

+1

Yes - one week post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - wait at least 6 months before giving up on the procedure

Sam Naficy, MD

Removing silicone implant from nose not so simple

+1

Sadly, most likely your nasal bones were rasped down in order to create the appropriate base shape to accomodate the silicone dorsal implant.  Removing the implant may result in a very flat nasal bridge with an open roof deformity.  I do agree that the L-section should be removed but you may need to always have something on the nasal bridge at this point.  If you don't want silicone, your other choices would be severly limited, IMHO and subject to uneven absorption and nasal deformation over the next 10-15 years and include rib cartilage.  Sorry, I couldn't give you better news.

Freaking out with nasal implant

+1

1 week? that's way too early to consider throwing away the most important element of your procedure and perhaps leaving you worse off. ride it out for at least 3-6 months, unless there is a complication, of course.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Remove silicone implant

+1

Please wait! It's likely that you are now reacting to a significant change in your appearance. Allow the swelling to heal and give yourself some time to see if you enjoy the new look.  If other things have been done to your nose besides the implant it will not be the same. You will have to replace the implant with something else to balance these changes. You may decide to use your own cartilage or change the size of the implant but it will take time to see the final result.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty anxiety about silicone implant

+1

This is a very common concern and anxiety that is experienced by rhinoplasty patients, especially nasal implants and cartilage grafts. You need to wait for at least two months, during this time swelling will subside and most patient start liking their nose. Do not rush. Good luck and good healing. Dr. Kevin Sadati

Kevin Sadati, DO

It's way too early

+1

It is common to have some anxiety early on after any type of rhinoplasty.  I would recommend you wait until the intial swelling goes down (at least a month or two) before beginning to even consider performing a revision.  A lot of times, the nose will not go back to your "old nose" with simple implant removal.  It depends upon the other techniques performed during your surgery.  You should discuss this with your surgeon.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you are certain the implnat should go

+1

After two weeks there can be a shock value to the strong changes associated with a silicone nasal implant, however if the nose is really not 'you' and you are certain there is no value in waiting, and the implant can be removed sooner rather than later, or modified and reduced. Return to your 'old' nose will depend on what else your surgery entailed.

peterejohnsonmd

Silicone implant removal

+1

Please allow several months to pass. Your feelings may well change. I can't tell you what the results of removing the implant will be as I don't know what else was done.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

I would wait to make sure that you making the right decision

+1

I would suggest to wait few months to make sure that you will not regret your decision. You just had surgery and you are swollen. Your implants Will cause damage to your body.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon