To early for mini lift at 36? (Photo)

I dislike what I think is premature jowling and laxity in my lower face. Also my jawline is becoming less and less defined. I think I need a mini or MACS lift. I did speak to a plastic surgeon but he said I was only 36 and did not need it. Would I benefit from a lift? I have tried juvederm but need a lift. My face is red in photos as I had a dermaroll today. Thanks.

There is no age limit for a facelift

+2
You are not too young for a facelift, and your jawline would be improved, but I would also recommend adding some volume to your cheeks with fat grafting or fillers. You look like a candidate for an in office procedure under local, but this can only be determined by an in person consultation. Best of luck!

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

To early for mini lift at 36?

+2
The time for a facelift is when you need it!  So, yes, you do have laxity in your face and jowl area.  A mini-facelift would remove that and give you a refreshed, youthful 36 year old face!

Is 36 too young for a mini-facelift? Yes.

+2
I would agree with the surgeon you met with. 36 is very young to undergo a first facelift procedure. You do appear to have more volume loss than would be expected in your mid-30s. With that said I am not surprised that Juvederm did not create the improvement you were looking for. Since much of your volume loss is in your cheeks you would likely benefit more from Voluma cheek injections with some Juvederm Ultra Plus placed in your nasolabial folds. While injectable treatments are temporary they would likely act as a bridge to maintain your volume and minimize any more deflation of your face until you reach an age where a facelift procedure might be more appropriate. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

To early for mini lift at 36?

+1
   A lower face and neck lift would probably give you a nice improvement.

Facelift is based on need not age

+1
You would be a candidate for a lift. However, there is a new product called Voluma which will add volume to your cheeks which would be beneficial for you. To understand your goals, objective, lifestyle, and lifestage an in-person consultation is definitely recommended.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

To early for mini lift at 36?

+1
Thank you for your question. Typically, I will not see patients under the age of 40 for facial procedures. Doing an operation such as a facelift will not give you a significant enough result at this point to justify the cost and potential risks of undergoing surgery. In my opinion, you should explore your non-surgical options first. Fillers such as Voluma and Sculptra can help to lift the mid and lower face, and Juvederm will soften and lift the lines around the mouth. You can revisit the need for a facelift in 10 years or so.

Steven Vath, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Minilift at Age 36?

+1
It is very hard to make a determination based on several photos on the internet.  Although there is no numerical age which defines when a  patient is or isn't a candidate, most mini-lifts (in my hands) are performed on patients in their mid-40's and later. Most patients in your age group, when given the choice, will choose fillers and volumizers to address the early changes of aging.  My sense is that your Plastic Surgeon iscorrect, but it wouldn't hurt to have a few opinions.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

To early for mini lift

+1
Dear thickskin, thank you for your question. A mini facelift can improve the jawline and neck , and in some cases the cheeks. Our La Jolla Lift procedure is performed with gentle twilight sedation. Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see what your best option is. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too early for a mini lift at age 36?

+1
There is no set age for having a mini lift. If certain features bother you, a mini lift can be a great procedure to improve your lower face. 

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age not a restriction

+1
Hi Thickskin 77: your age alone is not the only consideration.  Looking at just these 2 photos, it is difficult to fuly appreciate your aging process, but you do appear to have some premature lower facial aging.  In the pictures I can see, you appear to have a small jaw, which means there is less structure to stretch the skin over.  So, even if you do decide to have a facelift, you might benefit from a chin implant as well.  I would need to see more photos to know for sure. You do also seem to have lost volume from your cheeks.  While you have tried Juvederm, you might consider something like Sculptra to add some volume in general back to your face.  Some sculptra and a chin implant now might really slow your aging process and allow you to wait until 45-50 for a facelift, if you wanted to wait.   

Garrett Griffin, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon