Early 20s with Serious Eye Bags. Treatment Options?

I am in my early 20's with eyebags that never go away no matter what I do. I remember noticing them as early as junior high. In recent years they've just seem to have gotten more evident. When I smile, my under eye area also folds differently on each side. Can fillers work in my case? or is surgery the only option?

Doctor Answers 4

Have a question? Ask a doctor

Fillers or fat can help make eyes look younger

Your eyes appear puffy in large part because the area underneath them( the mid face), is hollow.  Building this area up with filler such as hyaluronic acid, possibly up to two cc's per side will help.

 The other option is an augmentation blepharoplasty, where the puffiness is removed from the inside of the eyelid, and fat which is removed from another part of the body is placed in the lower eyelid/upper cheek area(autologous fat transfer).

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Lower eyelid bags

You have 2 options available-inject fillers or surgery. Fillers in this area have to injected carefully and you have to inject the right kind of filler to avoid lumps and other problems. Surgery involves suturing the eyelid fat to the deep cheek fat in order to raise the surface trough that currently exists between the cheek and lower eyelid. You can see an example of this in my patient photos on real self.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Your lower eyelid bags may be improved by an Injectable Filler treatment.

I see your concern, but your photo is too limited to determine what treatment would be best for you. Most patients your age benefit from a Filler treatment.  My personal preference and expertise is with Silikon-1000 for permanent results.

In general, I advise against lower eyelid fat removal in someone your age. You may end up with a hollow, operated appearance that could be difficult to correct.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 302 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.