Earlobes Are Not Torn, but Piercing Has Closed Up - Can I Get Them Re-pierced?

Can I get my earlobes repierced? Problems when I was young made it impossible to wear earrings and so after all these years, they have closed up.

Repiercing ears after closed

Yes, you should be able to have your ears repierced if they closed up simply from not wearing earrings for years.  Good luck.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Closed earring holes

Your ears can be repierced that this should not be a problem. I recommend piercing with sterile technique and using earrings that are 14 karat gold posts.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Repiercing earlobe

Thank you for your question. Yes, you should not have a problem repiercing your earlobes. An old piercing site which has closed up is alone not a contraindication to repiercing. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Ear piercing closed

If your ear pierced holes have closed, you can get them re-pierced and it should not be a problem.  Good luck.

Earlobe piercing has closed up--re-piercing is absolutely possible!

Thank you for asking, as most patients would simply go ahead and do what they wanted, which in this case is perfectly OK. It should be done with a sterile piercing tool to reduce the risk of infection, and you should use a good-quality 14K gold stud to prevent allergic irritation. Keep the pierce site clean with rubbing alcohol. Go ahead and use the same spot if you like its placement!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Treating splint earl lobe and healed piercing

I would remcommend repairing your torn earl lobes first and then considering ear piercing 6 weeks later.

Piercing after earlobe tear

Your earlobes can be repierced safely.  The epithelialized tunnel from the old piercing is likely closed. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Re-Piercing ok

Re-piercing is ok to do, whether it is for earlobes, nostrils, or belly-button rings.  Unused sites will often heal back up, so occasional use will prevent the need for re-piercing.

Ear piercings that have closed can be opened easily

Often piercings without earrings to hold them open will close over time. It is no problem to repierce with a new sterile piercing stud.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Repiercing of earlobes

Repiercing of earlobes after they have closed should not be a problem.  If the original piercing was elongated or torn and then healed, the new piercing should be placed away from the scar if possible.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon