My Earlobes Are Old and Thin Instead of Plump. Can Autofat Be Used to Fatten Them?

The earring holes are elongated too because of the thinness of the lobe and use of course. If autologous fat were used to plump up the earlobes I think my earrings would hang better and I would look younger. I also don't like the attached earlobe effect from my facelift 15 years ago. Can it be revised to be unattached again like my family's genetics? That would raise up the long look of the ears and be more youthfull too.

Rejuvenation for the Long and Aging Earlobe

+2

Both corrections to your earlobes can be done and there are two different approaches to doing it. The first is to do a combined earlobe plumping with either fat or allogeneic dermis (my preference as it will take better) and separate the earlobe from the side of the face. The only concern is that in a longer thinner earlobe this may only make the earlobe 'fatter' but not look anymore rejuvenated. The other approach is a combined earlobe reduction (shortening) and facial detachment which I think is better and more rejuvenative. This would create a more youthful looking earlobe and negate the need for trying to plump it up.

Aging earlobes.

+2

Juviderm or Restylane can be used to plump up the lobe. But usually Th earlobe is too long and it can be made smaller and plumper by removing part of the length, "killing 2 birds with one stone".

Earlobes after facelifts

+1

A lot of earlobes look weird after a facelift because many surgeons don't properly deal with it at the time of surgery.  There are many ways to deal with the different deformities created from a facelift, but fat injection is not one that I think would be useful.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Ear Lobe Correction

+1

Yes Earlobe can be repaired. The attached earlobe following a facelift you described is called a pixie ear lobe and this can be corrected. You can also inject fat also called fat transfer or lipoinjection

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Long ears after a facelift is called a pixie ear deformity.

+1

This can be repaired. I would do this before the fat injections. Your earlobes will look better with the earlobes repositioned and you may not need fat injections to the ear. But fat injections to the ear can plump the ear very nicely and can be a very long term result.  Below is a video to illustrate our answer better. We have other informative videos and information on our website and a link is included to help you find us.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repair of Thin Stretched Earlobes

+1

Treatment of thin ear lobe can include Juvederm injection which I feel is more reliable than fat injection which relies on the fat graft developing new blood supply.  

Because the earlobes are relatively small structures small differences in fat graft take may be obvious, so for this reason I prefer Juvederm.

The stretched earlobes can be reduced and reshaped by an office procedure performed under local anesthesia.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Earlobe Repair

+1

Yes, the earlobes can be detached from the side of the face so the lobe can hang free.   Sometimes, the lobe also has to be made smaller as determined by exam.   As well, the lobe can be plumped with either fat or purchased filler.  These procedures are both typically done in the office.   I tend to keep the stitches in the ear for longer then other procedures and I like to wait a long time (months) before re-piercing (which I typically do myself at a later appointment).  You have lots of options.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

More youthful earlobes

+1

Earlobes can be made smaller and reshaped by a simple in office procedure under local anesthesia.  In most cases, attached earlobes resulting from a face lift can be restored to a detached shape.  Usually the reduction and reshaping process will add an effect of making the lobe look more plump.  If however further plumping is desired, an injectable filler such as juvederm or restylane can be used.  It is possible to add microfat deposits to the earlobe, but I would recommend the fillers as being more controllable and precise.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe injections and rejuvenation

+1

You would need to be examined for a specific answer, however the issues you raise are commonly dealt with.  Elongated piercings can be repaired and the pixie deformity from your facelift can be corrected.  In addition, if your earlobes are thin, one can consider injecting with a filler type product such as Juvederm or Restylane.  I would think it would be difficult to get fat injected into an earlobe easily.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon