Earlobe Repierce is not Working. Why?

I had my original pierce repaired. After healing, Doc repierced next to it (w/a contraption), which became infected, so I had to remove the earring. Scar tissue has formed in that spot causing a hardened substance inside the earlobe. Doc then repierced again (needle) between the 2 old pierces. I have had the earring in (14k) for 6 weeks (cleaning it every day) and I still have a problem when I remove it. The underside tries to close and it becomes inflamed and I now see some pus (again!). Why?

Repiercing

+1

I recommend that you call a board certified plastic surgeon. The mass has to be removed, the area has to heal prior to any more repiercing.

Recurrent inflammation following ear repiercing

+1

Thank you for your question. What you describe is most likely an inclusion cyst within the earlobe that keeps getting infected. This may also explain the hardened substance inside the earlobe. 

I suggest you see board certified plastic surgeon to address your concern. If there is a cyst, then it has to be excised to prevent further infection.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Ear Lobe Piercing Problems

+1

You stated you had your ear pierced with a contraption? I hope that means a sterile stainless steel Stud designed to pierce ears. If you do not use sterile technique or pierce through an infected area then trouble will ensue. You may have also pierced too close to an area that was inflammed. I would take everything out. Get some antibiotics. Wait 12 weeks.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon