Earlobe Reconstruction from Gauges? (photo)

Are my ears going to heal at a point like this or are they just swelled up like the surgeon told me? This picture is two days after the operation. I told the surgeon to cut away the extra skin before he stitched them but he refused and I trusted him. Every other lobe reconstruction I have seen does not look like this after the operation. They look like normal ear lobes with stitches in them. Not pointed with stitches in them.

Earlobe gauge surgery

+1

There are several ways to repair earlobes. Yours still appear swollen and will change when the swelling goes away.  It can be revised after a few months if you are unhappy with the result fairly easily.  To me it looks like they would look better if the lobes were reduced a bit further. I agree that they look too long, but you need to wait before a revision.

Repair of earlobe plugs and gauges in Los Angeles

+1

I perform many of these earlobe repairs with plugs and have found recovery to be relatively quick.  Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Gauges and ear lobe repair

+1

I think that at this point you have to let them heal. Give it several months. If they still appear too big or redundant a revision can be performed.

Gauged Earlobe Closure Resulting in Pointy Earlobes

+1

-Your photos appear to show that although the piercings were closed, the redundant skin that you have from ear lobe stretching/gauging was not removed.

-Certainly, you'll have some swelling, but unfortunately I think once the swelling is down, you'll still have pointy earlobes.

-Closing gauged ear lobe piercings is technically more challenging than closing simple piercings that were not stretched.  With ear lobes such as yours, tissue in both the horizontal and vertical vectors needs to be removed in order to avoid misshapen earlobes.

-Definitely meet again with your surgeon to share your concerns, or with a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss revisional surgery with you.  The good news for you is that your ear lobes can still be fixed, but unfortunately this will require another procedure.

-Thanks for sharing your photos!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Earlobe reconstruction from gauges

+1

There normally would be some expected swelling at 2 days after earlobe reconstruction from gauges.  The appearance of your earlobes may improve as the swelling subsides.  I would wait a week or two and see how they look then.  If there is still a pointed appearance to them, you should see your surgeon again.  This normally could be corrected.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon