Can Ear Surgeries Be Revised?

I had my ears pinned. The ears are not pinned the same amount, and one is pinned back too far. Is this a procedure that can be "reversed" at least a bit?

Michael

Secondary Revisional Surgery for Otoplasty

+1

Occasionally, patients who undergo otoplasty require secondary revisional surgery.  This type of surgery can be performed when residual deformities are present but can be difficult. Post-surgical changes and scarring can contribute to this difficulty.

When the ears are too close to the side of the head, revision can be accomplished by releasing structural sutures and scarring.  In most cases symmetry can be accomplished with this approach. Occasionally a bilateral procedure may be necessary to obtain symmetry.  This might involve bringing the opposite ear closer to the head with additional structural sutures.

It’s important to discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon.  After a physical exam your surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan for your asymmetry.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Revisional Otoplasty

+1

If there are issues from your initial otoplasty, you can choose to do a revisional otoplasty. Depending on what point you are at during your healing process, you should wait to see the full results. If enough time has passed, I recommend seeing your facial plastic surgeon for a revisional otoplasty or obtain a couple of opinions from other facial plastic surgeons to ensure the best results.

Revision otoplasty

+1
An otoplasty can be revised to correct asymmetry or under correction but it is advisable to wait for the residual swellng to go down before anticipating the need for such surgery. A revision can be performed under local anesthesia in the office.

Reversing an otoplasty

+1

Reversing an otoplasty can be challenging and difficult to predict. However, if this is a concern, the wound can be explored and possibly reversed. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/facial-surgery-chicago/otoplasty/

Reversing ear surgery

+1

It is possible to reverse slightly the ear that is pinned too much although it is a challenging procedure. It might be easier to pin the other ear back further. Conservative measures if your are not too far out can help the ear that is pinned back too much as well. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, revision Otoplasty is possible

+1

Revision otoplasty is possible.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon to get his opinion on your result.  If you have any concerns after this visit seek a second opinion.  I often tell patient's "Breasts are like sisters, they look alike, but are not identical".  This goes for ears as well.  Warmest Regrards, Dr. Pippin.

Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Otoplasty

+1

Revision otoplasty is certainly possible.  The actual procedure done will determine what can be modified.  If cartilage has been cut or removed, then revision may be limited or impossible.  Seek a second opinion by an experienced surgeon and bring a copy of your operative report for him to review. 

Otoplasty revision

+1

Otoplasty surgery can be revised. However, you must weigh the benefits of redoing the surgery with the risks. IIf the difference is greater than 1 - 2 millimeters, you may wish to consider a revision.  You will need to accept that the ears will not be precisely the same. 

Revising asymmetric ears after otoplasty

+1

Yes, your ears can be revised after otoplasty.  Otoplasty is a surgery of millimeters.  A difference of more than 3 mm between the 2 ears will be noticed by the human eye.  If your ears were symmetric after your surgery, and now they are not, it is possible that a suture failed early in the healing process so you lost some correction on one side.  It is usually just a matter of replacing this suture in order to correct the problem.  This can be done once the initial swelling has resolved, usually after 3 months or so. If the difference between the two ears is more subtle, then it is best to wait a full year before a revision.  Hope that helps!

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear reshpaping can be revised

+1

Reshaping the ear is a complex process and depending on the healing final results may not meet patient expectations.  The procedure can be revised as appropriate.  Quite often you will "lose" some of the correction over time and many surgeons over correct slightly to account for this.  Consult with your original surgeon and discuss whether a revision is appropriate.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon