Ear Reduction

I would like to make my ears smaller, I know you can pin them back but my real interest is to make them a bit smaller. My question is if they can be made significantly smaller without any noticeable scars?

Ear reduction- difficult

+1

I think you are saying that your ears do not stick out, but are just large.  Depending on the location of the size issue, it may be easy or may be difficult to make your ear smaller. 

If this is a problem with the lobule, the skin at the bottom of the ear, this could be reduced with a small well hidden scar. 

If the problem is higher, where there is also cartilage, you have a more uncommon issue and would need a less commonly performed surgery.  There are some options, these will require removal of skin and therefore scars.  The scars can mostly be hidden, but there would need to be some visible incision to reduce the circumference of the helical rim.

I would suggest a consult with a surgeon, and address with him your concerns.  I think you have options, but it may take a bit of imagination on the part of your surgeon.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Reduction

+1

The most common area of the ear that people asked to be reduced is the ear lobe. With age, the earlobe stretches and appears to be enlarged. This is often corrected together with a facelift, but can be performed as a stand alone procedure as well. 

Sometimes people my feel that their ears are enlarged but this may be secondary to excessive protrusion. In these cases otoplasty can give the appearance of a reduction. It is best to meet with a surgeon that performs a significant amount of otoplasty/ear surgery in order to be evaluated and get a professionals opinion.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear reduction surgery: Hiding the scars

+1

As noted in the other responses, any time there are incisions, there will be scars.  An incision is required to re-size or re-position the ears.  

The key is to find a board certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of ear work.  Ask to see plenty of photos and different angles.  Someone highly experienced in otoplasty will have the skill level needed to make the incisions in the best possible locations, so the incisions are hidden and blend in nicely after they've healed.  

A lot of my male patients have this concern as well since, unlike the ladies, there is not usually hair to cover up their ears.  In my experience, most patients are happy they had the procedure (tiny scar vs large ears) and heal up very nicely.  

Steven Svehlak, MD

Ear reduction surgery

+1

Hi Australia,

Ear reduction surgery can be performed, but in most cases, it will leave scars.  These scars, however, are frequently not very noticeable and usually are not a cause for concern for patients.

Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty scars are well hidden

+1

All surgeries require an incision and from that a scar forms.  However, an otoplasty incision is usually well hiddent behind the ear.  This incision can be used to pin the ear back and reduce the conchal bowl/ fullness in the middle part of the ear

Jennifer Keagle, MD

Ear reduction

+1

Ear reduction in size is possible , but there will be a scar.

Anytime you do surgery there will be a scar.