How does ear reduction surgery work and does it usually work? (Photo)

I feel like my ears are too big for my face. ( I've been told this also) I want to make them fit my face better because I'm embarrassed to show my ears and it keeps me from joining sports teams or anything that invoves putting my hair up.

Ears to big

+1
It is rare that a true reduction of the ears is necessary. Usually an ear setback, otoplasty is all that is required.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear abnormalities are improved relatively easily through Otoplasty.

+1
Ears that are out of proportion with the rest of the face can attract unkind remarks.  
Otoplasty or ear pinning surgery to protruding ears is a relatively easy procedure.  Incisions are made behind the ear, where they are easily hidden in a natural crease.  Excess skin is removed and cartilage is curved, reducing the size of the ears and re-positioning them closer to your head. This surgery typically takes anywhere from 1-2 hours.  After surgery, we place a small padded bandage to protect ears and hold them in place.  You can expect to go back to school within a week.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

How does ear reduction surgery work and does it usually work?

+1
Ear reduction or ear pinning in most cases involves setting back the "bowl" of the ear and accentuating the poorly developed fold in the upper pole of the ear. These changes are created with an incision hidden on the back of the ear. The success rates are very high and the procedure is safe in experienced hands. This is a very gratifying procedure both for me and my patients because the changes are immediate and can create significant improvements in the self esteem of people with prominent ears. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

+1
It is difficult to make final diagnosis and treatment plans based on these pictures since the entire face is not in the picture, but based on what I can see, your ears are not big, but they are what we call "prominent ear", this could be due to excess cartilage or underdeveloped ear folds. surgery can fix these issues. 

Ali Totonchi, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty brings the ears closer to the head.

+1
Otoplasty brings the ears closer to the head and can change the curve but it does not change the size.