Ear Reduction Surgery in the U.S? (Specifically on the Helical Rim) (photo)

I found surgeons who do otoplasty in the US but my problem isn't that they protrude, they are just big. I found a dr who does ear reduction surgery but he lives in the UK. I sent him photo of my ear and he said it would involve the removal of a crescent of cartilage from just inside the helical rim, more than likely without an extension of the incision on to the helical rim being necessary.Is there anyone who can do this and what would be the $will insurance help?Is it a risky procedure?

Ear Reduction Surgery in the U.S? (Specifically on the Helical Rim)

+1

Yes, this can be done, but no insurance will cover this as it is purely cosmetic.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Ear-Correction.php

Ear Reduction Surgery in the U.S?

+1

Ear reduction surgery is not difficult and can be done under local anesthesia. The cost depends on if you wish reduction on only one sided because of ear size asymmetry or on both sides. The cost is not covered by insurance, but it usually be done under local anesthesia in the office.

One can not reduce the size of an ear without removing some of the rim so there has to be a small scar accross the rim.