Options For Ear Reconstruction After Cartilage Harvest for Rhinoplasty ?

As I wrote before,I had a revision rhinoplasty with ear cartilage grafts. I can feel and see the depression in my ear (the cartilage was taken from the conchal bowl). Is it something to do to reconstruct the ear and to make my ears look even again? Do I need a costal cartilage graft or is it enough just with an otoplasty? Maybe you mean that I don't need to do anything,but I really want to fix that. Any thougths?

Otoplasty to fix ear cartilage harvest for a revision or rhinoplasty

+1

Pictures would help. If there is a significant defect you can use other forms of tissue to augment the conchal bowl. You can take cartilage from your other ear to bolster this, or rotate tissue from other areas around the ear to do this as well.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear cartilage

+1

Most of the time harvesting cartilage from the ear for nasal reconstruction will result in minimal deformity of your ear.  It would really be helpful for you to submit some photos to see if a revision of your ear would be worthwhile.  More importantly, how did your nose turn out?  If it improved the appearance of your nose , a slight deformity of your ear was probably a worthwhile  trade off.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Reconstruction of Conchal Ear Deformity

+1

A conchal ear deformity after cartilage graft harvest occurs bcause the surrounding remaining cartilage has collapsed/bent/folded around the rim of the harvest site.  It may have developed due to the size of the graft taken or because a suture was placed to try and close the cartilage defect. (unnecessary) To fix it, you are correct in assuming that structural support must be provided back into the area after it is released. Certainly cartilage would be the best choice and a small conchal graft from the other ear would work well...but you may understandably be skiddish about that approach given what has occurred. A septal or very small shaved rib graft would be the other options.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Auricalar Cartilage Graft

+1

Hi,

Typically after auricular cartilage graft there is no cosmetic deformity. You feel that there is no cartilage in the conchal bowl but there should not be a cosmetic deformity. If you see an asymmetry, you should consult with your surgeon and see what the best option is . I don't think there is anyway to replace that cartilage that would look good.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Ear deformity from cartilage graft

+1

This decision will need to be evaluated by a physical examination. Evaluate the deformity and the real cause, then decide what course of action to take.