Ear Otoplasty Stitching - when Does It Come Out?

i had my procedure done 16 days ago and my cosmetic stitching didnt come all the way out yet, is that normal? when does it usually come off?

Sutures From Otoplasty May Be Removed In 7-10 Days

+1

Permanent non absorbable skin sutures are typically removed in 7 to 10 days following otoplasty.  When sutures are left in place for longer periods, several potential problems can occur.  Although increased pain may occur with late suture removal, this is rarely a problem.  In the vast majority of patients, the most significant consequence of delayed suture removal is increased scarring.

It’s important to realize that no two patients are the same and that in some cases it may be appropriate to leave sutures in place for longer periods of time.  If you have questions about this topic, it’s important to discuss them with your surgeon. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Timing of suture removal after Otopasty (ear pinning surgery) 7-12 days for non-absorbable sutures

+1

Judging from your multiple previous posts, I would highly recommend that you contact your original surgeon even if they are located at a distance or at least contact them by phone. Non-Absorbable Sutures should generally come out by this time (usually 7-12 days) or you may risk the possibilty of train track marks.

It depends on what kind of sutures were used for your Otoplasty

+1

You should visit your doctor and have him take a look. Some of the sutures placed in the skin are removed 5-10 days after otoplasty. However, the sutures under the skin are left in permanently. Occasionally, these permanent sutures can poke through the skin, and your doctor may not want to remove them.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty sutures

+1

The sutures could be under the skin, sudermal, subcuticular, these will absorb leaving no skin marks. If the sutures are on top of the skin they should be removed in 5-6 days otherwise they will leave a rail road track marking.Some use FAST ABSORBING sutures, if they are not disolved in 5-6 days they need to be removed(HELPED)

I typically remove Otoplasty skin sutures 7 days after surgery.

+1

It sounds like your surgeon placed absorbable sutures behind your ears, and most of them likely fell out by now. If there are a few remaining stitches that are bothering you, visit your surgeon and he'll remove the rest.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

When do Stitches come out

+1

When skin stitches are kept in for more than 5 days they leave permanent scar dots along the incision we term Rail Roading. If you still have stitches, you really need to see your surgeon and have them removed.