Ear Otoplasty - Two Different Scars?

Hi, I had my procedure done almost 2 months ago. On one of the ears the scar is thick and raised up and white and on the other ear the scar is thin and red. Is this normal? Are they gonna end up looking the same or ones going to be thick and ones going to be thin. What can I do to improve it? Thank you

Bad scars after otoplasty (ear pinning)

+1

Judging from your multiple previous posts, I would highly recommend that you return to your original surgeon even if they are located at a distance or at least contact them by phone. You may require surgery or steroid injections.

Your thick, raised otoplasty scar may be a keloid scar.

+1

If one of your otoplasty scars is thick and raised, you should show this to your surgeon. Your ear is the most common location to form a keloid scar, and keloid scarring is associated with otoplasty incisions.

If your raised, thick scar is a keloid, it might benefit from a triamcinolone (steroid) injection, so please consult your surgeon.

The thin, red scar sounds like normal healing 2 months after your otoplasty surgery.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ugly Scars after Ear Surgery (Otoplasty)

+1

Regarding: "I had my procedure done almost 2 months ago. On one of the ears the scar is thick and raised up and white and on the other ear the scar is thin and red. Is this normal? Are they gonna end up looking the same or ones going to be thick and ones going to be thin. What can I do to improve it?"

As you discovered, scars can heal differently in different areas. The manner in which a scar heals depends on the surgeon / mechanism of injury, how it was closed (or not), under how much tension the skin edges were under, exposure to UV light (sun, tanning booths), infection AND most importantly your genetic predisposition to scarring.

At 2 months, the scars are still changing and are not finished healing. You may wish to apply Mederma or Silicone sheeting or ointment to the raised scar and sunblock to both for the next 4-6 months. If you are not happy with the scars at 10 months or so after surgery you can have your surgeon try and revise them.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea