How Should an Ear Otoplasty Scar Look?

I got my procedure done 6 weeks ago and some parts of the scars are swollen and raised. Is that normal? How is it going to look in the end? When it's healed and over with is the scar going to be flat or raised up? Thank you

Ear scar raised at 6 weeks

+1

Yes, you should probably see a plastic surgeon At 6 weeks, it is more likely that your scars should feel hard and not necessarily liquid filled. Alternatively, you have said that your surgeon is far away, take a picture and send it to him/her for their opinion and recommendation.

Your swollen, raised otoplasty scars may be keloid scars.

+1

You should show your scars to your surgeon. If you have red, raised, sensitive scars, they may benefit from a triamcinolone (steroid) injection. You may place topical anesthetic 30 minutes before your injection to reduce discomfort. Early keloid scars respond well to steroid injections, so see your surgeon as soon as possible for an evaluation.

All the best from NJ

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Appearance of scar.

+1

Scars any where on the head and neck are at their most prominence at 6 weeks as the healing process peaks at around that time.The redness and firmness you experience at 6 weeks should gradually go down by 6 months.  I see this especially in face lifts and blepharoplasties. The same would be applicable  to otoplasty scars. Six months is the earliest time to consider the quality of the scar. Of course there are exceptions in those who are prone to have hypertrophic scars or keloids. In these instances the conditions of the scar worsen and should be brought to the attention of the surgeon.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon