Will Ears Flatten More 27 Days Post-op Otoplasty?

I had my procedure done 27 days ago and my ears are still a little swollen, a little numb, and still stick out very little, it's not totally flat. My doctor said that it'll go down in 2 months but will the ear flatten towards the head more?(if that makes sence) thank you!

Swelling and scarring after ear surgery

+1

Swelling is very common after ear surgery and at 4 weeks your scarring is still forming for an additional 2 weeks.

Final Ear Shape after Otoplasty

+1

The ears will flatten but must be kept flat after surgery.  The cartilage has been molded and sutured to lay flatter but cartilage has "memory" and will like to go back to its original shape. To help the cartilage keep its new shape a head band is worn post operatively for 4-6 weeks after surgery to keep the ear closer to the head.  Af the swelling subsides and with use of your head band the final shape will be revealed.

Good Luck,

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Ear Pinning Results

+1

Regarding : "procedure done 27 days ago and my ears are still a little swollen, a little numb, and still stick out very little, it's not totally flat. My doctor said that it'll go down in 2 months but will the ear flatten towards the head more?(if that makes sence)"

Otoplasty (Ear Pinning) utilizes various surgical maneuvers to make the outer ear ridge (anti helix) more prominent, reduce the depth of the inner circle (concha) of the ear and reduce the angle between the plane of the ear and the head by bringing it in.

Although swelling will go down with time (as long as it is not blood or an infection...), the angle will NOT markedly improve with time. The angle is literally set at the time of surgery and unless the sutures break, what you see is what you get.

Dr. Aldea

Will ears flatten more after otoplasty?

+1

While you may experience reduction of swelling of the ears in the immediate 4-6 week period after an otoplasty, the ears tend to relax over long term over period of 6-12 months and may stick out a bit more. Sometimes, surgeons will slightly overcorrect the ears for this reason.  

Joseph Shvidler, MD
Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon