Are Ear Numbness and Pulling Around Ears Normal at 7 Weeks Post-op Mini-facelift?

I had a mini facelift 7 weeks ago. Both my ears (earlobes and area around them) are still numb. There is also very uncomfortable constant pulling around both of them and a general wooden sensation in the area. There's been very little, if any, improvement in 7 weeks. My surgeon says it's all normal and should resolve by 3 months post-op. Does this seem likely or should I seek a second opinion? Thank you.

Earlobe Numbness and Tightness after Mini Facelift

+1

Your concerns about numbness are shared by many patients after surgery, but, at 7 weeks, this should continue to improve over the course of a few more months to a year or so.  With regard to tightness, this almost always resolves with tincture of time.  Massage may be useful as well, if your plastic surgeon is OK with that option.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

I would agree with your surgeon that the numbness around your ears and tightness will resolve with time. The facelift obviously tightens the facial tissue and this can sometimes be uncomfortable during the early post-surgery period. However, this sensation should resolve. I hope that you are otherwise happy with the result.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear Numbness and Tightness Are Normal at 7 weeks

+1

I hope that you are happy with the overall results from your Mini Facelift.  In general, patients can experience numbness and significant pressure and swelling around the ears for 3-6 months postoperatively.  The nerves that provide sensation to these areas are inflamed and do not function normally, but typically return back to normal or close to normal in time. 

Although it is a mini facelift and designed for a relatively more rapid recovery due to a reduction in dissection and minimizing tissue trauma, it still was an operation, and will take time to heal.  Be patient, and things should improve.

Samuel Sohn, MD