Can Ear Lobe, Ear Shape Altered in Lower Face Lift Surgery Be Improved or Fixed? (photo)

I had a face lift and have visible scars on my ears. The ear shape has been changed and also one of my ear lobes has been sewn against my face. See photos.

Following the natural contour of the ear in facelift healing, enhancement and revision are possible

+1

No matter what type of facelift was done, there must be some type of incisional scar. For the physician, the scar means an area of healing, but for most people the scar is unsightly.

With the photos you submitted, I can assess that overall the incision and healing looks pretty good. I know that these are close-up pictures and there may be washing out of detail with the flash, but it appears that there’s just a little bit of fold below the opening of the ear. You might benefit from a little skin trimming in that area so it follows the cartilage. Sometimes I have to do those types of revisions with my own patients and these small little enhancements are always possible.

As far as the earlobe is concerned, in our practice we see people who get attached earlobes that weren’t attached or the earlobes are pulled. These patients come in after having surgery done elsewhere and want to get another opinion. Earlobes can be addressed after a face lifting procedure is done. Sometimes the skin regresses a little bit and there’s some tugging. Generally, the way I tuck the skin under the earlobe, particularly in an attached  or detached earlobes, is usually not an issue.

With scars, I can show you some examples of scars that are very wide and unsightly. Often these types of  scars can’t be revised that easily. When we talk about scar revision, sometimes it’s associated with elevating the skin and placing the incisions in a more favorable way. Other times it may be just doing something to camouflage the incisions whether it’s to condition the skin with the use of topical retiniods or something more aggressive like laser treatment.

I think that based on your photos, there doesn’t appear to be a significant amount of unsightly ear scar or facelift scarring. As long as the incision is flat and pretty well camouflaged and it also follows the natural contours of the ear, then it’s okay. You must be careful about being aggressive in terms of planning out any type of revision. I suggest that you speak to your surgeon and discuss these issues. I hope that was helpful, and thanks again for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Earlobe shape can be manipulated in a revision

+1

Earlobes can be altered after you have completely healed if they are unsatisfactory to you.  This procedure is minor and can be done under local.  After the facelift has completely healed, the position of the skin and support tissues will be more fixed, and manipulation of the shape of the earlobe should not be difficult to do .

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Ear lobe abnormalities after facelift surgery are easily corrected with a minor procedure.

+1

The depth of the groove between the earlobe and cheek are different in this photograph. Symmetry can be achieved by a simple procedure performed on one earlobe or the other depending on the patient's preference.

Can Ear Lobe, Ear Shape Altered in Lower Face Lift Surgery Be Improved or Fixed?

+1

I have performed Face Lifts for over 25 years and there are two types of ear lobes, dangling and attached.  If the Face Lift patient starts out with the dangling variety, there is a possibility that as the skin is trimmed and the ear lobe heals that it will convert into the attached variety.  If this happens, once the face is healed at several months post Face Lift, a local revision of the earlobe can be done to make it the dangling variety.

Ear shape change after facelift

+1

There is sometimes a tendency for the inferior part of ear to come down a little be after the skin stretches a bit, depending on the deep sutures near the earlobes. I would wait about 6 months after surgery for revision so that you don't have revise it the second time.

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Scar Revisions Around Ears

+1

Your scar placement and the earlobe deformity could be improved by some minor revisions done under local anesthesia. These are fairly straightforward to improve. This will put the finishing touches to your overall facelift result.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Facelif Scar Revision Would Help

+1
Thank you for sharing your photos and questions.  I would agree with your assessment that your facelift scars and earlobes could be improved. The position of the scars, their effect on the tragus and earlobes could all be improved to give them a more natural appearance.  Seek consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in facial procedures to discuss scar revision. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes re operation to attach or detach the ear lobe can be done. But PLEASE make sure you truly desire the operation. 

This can be revised.

+1

Tailoring the facelift for the ears often is neglected.  The good news is that the issue you have can benefit from revisional surgery.  While this is considered minor surgery, you are likely to be very happy that you had this addressed

Altering The Earlobes After Rhytidectomy

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos. Yes, the earlobe position and shape can be altered post operatively with a procedure that is regularly done in the surgeon's office with the use of a local anesthetic.

I hope this helps. Best wishes

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD