Could ear infections as a baby/toddler and undiagnosed mastoidits cause mastoid promence and outstanding ears later on?

I have prominent ears, that I believe are caused by a prominent mastoid process. I had dozens of ear infections as a child and probably had mastoiditis as my skull was forming. My ears seem to be properly formed, just stick out due to relationship between the concha and mastoid. Would it be possible to recontour the mastoid bone instead of the concha during Otoplasty? I really like the shape and structure of my outer ear, and want to preserve chonchal cartilage material for possible later use.

Not likely

+1

Really unlikely but couldn't say for sure. I would ask an actively practicing fellowship trained otologist or neurotologist as they are the ENT surgeons who deal with this most frequently.

Web reference: http://www.chaselaymd.com/photo-gallery/results.cfm?Category=3

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Typically, recurrent mastoiditis or healing after mastoid surgery would cause no change or contraction in the mastoid. I would not expect that process to push the ears out. Regardless, an otoplasty is designed to shape the cartilage of the ear and create space on top of the mastoid for the bowl of the ear to sit closer to the head. No mastoid surgery is typically performed at the time of otoplasty unless it is being done for chronic middle ear disease. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/otoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon