Can Ear Graft Be Corrected?

If after Rhinoplasty surgery ear grafting was required and the conchal bowl cartilage was taken, if there is deformation in the ear and the ear sticks right to the side of the head, is there any options to fix this? My ear sticks to the side of my head and looks like its been cut off

Otoplasty to correct rhinoplasty revision that required an ear graft

+2

This can be done. Some times this situation can be much more complicated than a regular otoplasty. It may require rotating some tissue in the area or either cartilage from the other side or an implant to help lateralize your ear.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear deformity after grafting for nasal surgery

+1

The concha of the ear can be a good source of cartilage when that is needed for nasal grafts.   It does happen, from time to time, that removing this cartilage weakens the ear and destabilizes it.

If this has happened to you, it could be that you would benefit from a conchal stabilizing procedure.  This typically involves taking a graft from the opposite ear and creating a strut to maintain support and position.

I would recommend that you return to your original surgeon and ask if he/she is willing to take corrective measures.  If that doesn't go as you hope, your next bet is to seek out a board certified surgeon who is comfortable treating this  problem.

Douglas Hargrave, M.D.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Overaggressive Conchal Bowl Resection

+1

Overly aggressive ear resection techniques can be hard to correct.  I usually prefer a cartilage spacer is placed to help prop the ear out.  The spacer can be made of ear cartilage, sometimes taken from the contralateral ear.  Each case is very different so make sure you consult an experienced otoplasty surgeon.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon