Ear Cartilage Piercing Infection. Have Some Chondritis?

I had three earrings in my cartilage and they became infected. One of them the backing went right through my ear. My ear is swollen and the e.r. dr said to see a plastic surgeon. I do have some chondritis. It doesn't look too bad though. Can it get worse or is it as bad as it's gonna get?

Ear cartilage infection and chondritis

+1

Your ear must hurt form the chondritis. You need to be on antibiotics. This should heal with treatment. A board certified plastic surgeon is well qualified to see you.

+1

A perichondritis needs to be treated with a specific class of antibiotics. Untreated cartilage infections can result in loss of cartilage and an ear deformity. I also recommend that you see a Facial Plastic Surgeon or ENT for evaluation and possible treatment. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear pircing infection

+1

You were told to follow up with a specialist because it can get worse and infection of the cartillage can cause major problems