Ear Cartilage Gone Wrong After Ear Otoplasty?

Hi, i got my procedure done about 4 months ago and what I thought was a scar turned out to be a cartilage sticking out by the scar area, it's very visible and I want to get it removed. How long do I have to wait before getting that ear fixed? How long do you think the healing time will be?

Exposed cartilage sticking out from incision after ear surgery

If cartilage is newly exposed it should be covered. However, if it is dessicated or devitalized, it should likely be removed. See your surgeon.

Otoplasty

See you surgeon ASAP. to resolve the problem ASAP, you want to avoid infection of the cartilage and permanent deformity.

Otoplasty Revision

Hi,

If you really have ear cartilage sticking out of your ear you can have it revised now. At 4 months most of the immediate swelling has subsided.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

You will need to consult an Otoplasty surgeon to see what's right for you.

If you have concerns about your appearance 4 months after Otoplasty Surgery, you should first address these with your surgeon. If you're uncomfortable following up with your surgeon, you should get a second opinion from a reputable facial plastic surgeon that performs Otoplasty Surgery regularly.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon