Ear Cartilage Vs Fascia Grafting in a 3d Rhinoplasty? Which is a better approach to enhance my nose bridge?

This is how my nose looks when is swollen exactly after I had some hyalouronic acid injected. It is an example of how I would like my bridge to remain after an attempt to enhance the bridge with another rhinoplasty. Do you think that fascia used on its own and not wrapped into another kind of cartilage etc would be a suitable method to bring similar results? With my thin skin and damaged tissues do you think that fascia or ear cartilage grafting is a better approach for that?

Ear Cartilage Vs Fascia Grafting in a 3d Rhinoplasty?

+1

You're talikng about complicated revision Rhinoplasty techniques without any photos, of your nose, for evaluation.  Fascia dissolves and IMHO, should never be used in Rhinoplasty.  I'd have to see photos of your nose now and exampes of what you'd like in order to make specific recommendations.  Understanding and following the proper aesthetics of facial beauty (and the nose) is the single most imnportant characteristic of Rhinoplasty and all facial plastic surgery procedures. Be certain your surgeon understands these.

Dorsal augementation with fascia or cartilage

+1

As has been mentioned, the pictures did not make it with the question.  However, in general, both cartilage and fascia have a place in the nasal dorsum.  If significant dorsal (bridge) height is required, fascia alone is unlikely to be sufficient to achieve the desired result.  In these cases, cartilage is a consistent and predictable method of achieving a stronger nasal dorsum.  Fascia can provide some dorsal height, but is more useful as a camaflouge for irregularities.

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fascia on nose

+1

I do not see any pictures, but if your skin is very thin, sometimes fascia grafts help camouflage a thin skin envelope.

Ear cartilage vs fascia for dorsal augmentation

+1

Unfortunately, your picture is not showing up, but here are some general thoughts on the topic.  Temporalis muscle fascia is a great way to camoflague irregularities of the nasal dorsum or tip if you have thin skin in a multiple revision rhinoplasty.  If you are looking for augmentation or height of the dorsum, diced cartilage (septal vs. ear vs. rib) wrapped in temporalis fascia or even Alloderm is a nice way to go.  This is my method of choice for achieving a nice, natural amount of dorsal augmentation.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage vs Fascia in 3rd Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry, but I cannot see your picture. If you have thin skin I would use fascia under the skin to mask any underlying irregularities of cartilage or bone. If you need more than 2-3 mm of bridge augmentation I would also use cartilage.