Can the Ear Cartilage Be Removed After 6 Years?

can the ear cartilage be removed after 6 years?. I have had breathing problems since this revision was done, the rest of the doctors work was great, but I have problems sleeping, and terrible mucous build up!

Ear cartilage and removal

+1

Ear cartilage used for a rhinoplasty can be removed, but are you sure it is the cause of your problem?  A proper evaluation is in order.

Rhinoplasty and Ear Cartilage

+1

Stuart,

Hello and thank you for the question.

Ear cartilage can be removed following a revision surgery.  Given your presented story, it is unlikely that the cartilage is the cause of your symptoms.  I would recommend following up with a rhinoplasty specialist for a proper evaluation and treatment plan.  As my colleague mentioned, your symptoms may be more consistent with allergy-related issues.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D, F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Ear Cartilage Implants May Be Removed From the Nose 6 Years Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Stuart,

Yes, ear cartilage implants in the nose can be removed during rhinoplasty revision surgery.  You should be examined and evaluated by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who is familiar with the internal functional aspects of the nose to determine the cause of your bothersome symptoms.  Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Ear Cartilage

+1

Lend me your ear: Think about keeping your needed auricular support that you have received from your first rhinoplasty.  Please contact a super experienced Rhinoplastic Cosmetic Surgeon who understands your Head & Neck Surgery issues including the fields of Rhinology, Allergy Medicine and Facial Plastic Surgery.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for 25 years and yes, the ear cartilage could be removed even after 6 years as it doesn't dissolve or become attached to underlying nasal tissues.  The ear graft is a structural addition and has nothing to do with the inside, of the nose and the reported symptoms.  You might want to have a workup with an allergist.

Yes ear cartilage can be removed after rhinoplasty.

+1

Yes ear cartilage can be removed after rhinoplasty but that is not the cause of the mucous problem. That is probably allergy. The allergy or large turbinates can be from allergies as well. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best evaluation.

Nasal breathing problems

+1

Dear Stuart,

-There are both surgical and non surgical treatments that you have available

-The mucus build-up could be allergy related as well

-The best way to know for sure is to have an exam so we can see what the issue is that is causing your breathing problems - it could be a residual septal deviation, enlarged turbinates, or collapse of the breathing passages.  Depending on the cause, we can find a solution for your problems.

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Ear cartilage removal

+1

Ear cartilage can be removed, it can also be re-used in case it needed to be placed somewhere else along the nose.

I would consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to determine if the obstruction is from the cartilage and  whether removal is what you need.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of ear carriage after rhinoplasty

+1

Cartilage could be removed, but it may be difficult depending where it is placed, and also may make your breathing worse.   A good clinical history and exam is critical to planning revisional rhinoplasty.  Seek a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon