How is Ear Cartilage Prepared before a Revision Rhinoplasty?

Ear cartilage

+2

I do nothing special. I try to harvest a piece that mimics as best as possible the size, texture, and curves of what ever is to be replaced or is needed.. I never crush cartilage as doing so means it will quickly be resorbed and have a non-structural fibrius replacement. I try to leave any investing or over lying perichondrium in place. I am a firm believer in that the less done to grafting material the better.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear Cartilage for Rhinoplasty

+2

While there is no special preoperative preparation other than being cleaned and made sterile in the surgical field, it depends on what the ear cartilage is going to be used for in the rhinoplasty operation.  Depending on your surgeon's and your nose's needs, it may be used as diced, crushed, or whole cartilage pieces.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Preparation of ear cartilage prior to rhinoplasty

+1

Ear cartilage is not prepared prior to surgery.  It is removed during rhinoplasty from an incision made either in front of or behind the ear.  Once removed, it can be used in various shapes and forms to achieve the goals of surgery discussed between you and your surgeon.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear cartilage preparation

+1

Ear cartilage is taken during rhinoplasty sometimes for cartilage grafting. The ear is prepeed with the same solution as the face and the graft  is harvested and the donor site of the ear has some sutures in it.

Ear Cartilage

+1

Hi,

Ear cartilage is harvested during the surgery either through an incision in front or behind the ear. Typically the cartilage is taken from the conchal bowl  portion of the ear. Some surgeons will preserve the perichondrium on one side which helps preserve cartilage viability. The cartilage can then be shaped fit where ever it needs to go.

The ear is then closed and a bolster dressing is placed to compress the skin flaps.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Preparation of Ear Cartilage before Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

There is no need for prepararation of the ear cartiage before surgery. At the time of the operation the surgical field is sterilized and the ear is typically injected with local anesthesia. An incision is then made in the skin on the front or back of the ear to harvest the cartilage.