Ear Cartilage to Augment Dorsum (African)?

My surgeon used my ear cartilage to add height and augment my dorsum... the result is amazing (because my old nose was ugly), also he make osteotomies and bony bridge narrowing plus septoplasty... I like my new nose... My question is what the possibility of getting infection when using autograph?

Infection after Rhinoplasty

+2

Infections after rhinoplasty are very rare when the patient's own cartilage is used to augment the nose. That is why I have avoided the placement of silicone and other synthetics in the nose over the past 35 years; there is a higher incidence of infection when these materials are used. Enjoy your new nose.

Low likelihood of infection of cartilage graft to african Nose

+2

Infections is always a known complication everytime an incision is made in the skin. However, it is much less common when your own tissues are being used and the farther away you are from the time of surgery.

Good luck

Peter A Aldea, MD

Infection after rhinoplasty is rare and almost unheard of when using your own cartilage

+2

Using your own tissue, such as cartilage is usually the preferred method for augmenting a nose. It is extremely rare that your own cartilage gets infected. Foreign substances called alloplasts have a reported incidence of 2% infection rate in the medical literature.

Risk of infection using autologous cartilage

+1

The incidence of infections after rhinoplasty using autologous grafts is very low.  Unlike synthetic grafts, that continue to have a lifetime risk of infection, once your incisions are fully healed (7-10 days) it is very unlikely you will develop an infection.