Dystonia in Jaw, Will I Always Have Treatment Options?

I have dystonia, and I'll be getting botox injections to treat the symptoms and appearance. However, my symptoms will persist and over time botox is likely to become ineffective. If my symptoms persist, will I still have the option kf cosmetic, surgical treatment options to reduce my jaw muscles and restore symmetry to my face?

Botox and dystonia

+1

Botox is effective in treating Dystonia and done properly should work very well, over the long term. It can become less effective (not always) when it is done too frequently, rather than allowing the product to wear off.

Dystonia in jaw and Botox

+1

There are a few things here. 1. Science continues to evolve and there will be new options. So shorting yourself now, for the possibility of something maybe being ineffective in the future, seems unreasonable. There will be new advancements. 2. There are already 3 neurotoxins on the market that are widely used in the U.S. - Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin. Although they are remarkably similar, each is a tiny bit different. So, should you have, in the future, the Botox not work as well, another neurotoxin can be used and possibly work through an entire other cycle. 3. Like Dr. Karamanoukian pointed out though, Botox resistance is not common and affects a small amount of people!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Dystonia - options with Botox

+1

Remember that there will always be 'options" and new treatments as time goes on. The likelihood of ineffectiveness or resistance with Botox is 15% for dystonia patients and therefore, I would not worry about it.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon