How Does Dysport Spread in Forehead Without Side Effects?

If Dysport spreads more than Botox and "rocks the forehead," is there a greater potential for side effects in other areas, like the brow area? I get great results from Botox in three areas of the face and I'm considering using Dysport.

Dysport side effects in the forehead

+2

Dysport is comparable to botox in treating forehead wrinkles. Just like botox injections there can a forehead drop . Clinical experience of the injector is a very important in  preventing any complication. Understanding the anatomy of the muscles, your personal anatomy, and how the product differs in diffusion from botox is  paramount to a good clinical effect

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Forehead Not to Worry

+2

I would not worry too much about the forehead, but I agree that physicians must use care in the brow area. It would seem logical that there is an increased chance of migration into unintended muscles. A "quaz" seems much more of a possiblity with Dysport than Botox.

I have no idea how my colleagues are using Dysport, but I have been combining Botox for the brow area, crow's feet and lower face and Dysport for the forehead and sometimes the crow's feet area as well.. This seems to be working so far.

Sooner or later someone will study the complication rates (and locations of such complications) between the two, but as for now everything is anecdotal.

Thanks for asking a good question.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Difference in side effects of Dysport and Botox

+1

The two products have nearly identical safely profiles. Your concern regarding spread is mostly hypothetical, as this can be controlled with the dilution used. For example, a dilute Botox will spread more than a concentrated Dysport.

The bottom line, especially for the forehead, is that you must use a provider who is experienced and uses Authentic product.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport

+1

In the forehead, dysport is very comparable to Botox.  As long as you are seeing someone who is knowledgeable about the anatomy of the muscles, your results should be good.

Sam Naficy, MD

Only use a qualified physician

+1

There are places on every corner that offer Botox and Dysport. Nurses, PA's and other medical providers do injections of these medications. I strongly encourage you to give it the due diligence before getting dysport. Technique is everything; that is how you avoid problematic things that can occur by a less than qualified person.

Jeffrey Adelglass, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Spread of Dysport

+1

Dysport diffuses further than Botox. Studies show no greater incidence of brow of eyelid ptosis (drooping), between Botox and Dysport. A recent study shows that Dysport gives better results on crows feet than Botox.

Since Dysport diffuses further, it tends to give a softer look.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH,FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Dysport Safe in Forehead

+1

Although there is a lot of talk about greater dispersion of Dysport in the treatment area compared to Botox, this has not been my experience.  Using small amounts, in small dilution volumes, I have not found observed an increase in adverse effects with Dysport as compared to Botox.  

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport and botox

+1

I think that by maintaining a concentrated product when hydrating it, and only using small aliquots during injection, you minimize the dispersion of the product into unwanted areas.

Dysport and Botox have comparable results

+1

In patients I treat, I have not seen an appreciable difference between Botox and Dysport results. Some patients have noted that Dysport lasts slightly longer than Botox while others say it does not work as well. Given that it is less expensive, it may be worth a try to see if it works for you.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport to treat the forehead

+1

Dysport probably does not spread in the forehead more than Botox when similar volumes of each are injected. The study that suggested otherwise used larger volumes of of Dysport than Botox. It is to be expected that larger volumes might migrate further. Once adjustments are made for the different potency or strength of Dysport, it is just as effective as Botox. Best yet, it is less expensive. I have been using Dysport since it was available and am as comfortable with it as Botox. My patients are loving it too.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon