Is Dysport or Restylane Safe While Trying to Have a Baby?

If I get it it would be in the first 2 weeks of my cycle just in case I do become pregnant after ovulation. Is it safe? Or will it affect my chances of conceiving or cause harm to the embryo or fetus afterwards? Thank you.

Injectables while trying to get pregnant

+1
It is always best to be safe and avoid unnecessary treatments while pregnant or trying to conceive. The effects of injectables during pregnancy are not well known, therefore, the risk should not be taken.

Botox and pregnancy

+1

It is always prudent to be conservative if you feel that you are pregnant or possibly pregnant. The full effects of Botox on pregnancy have not been completely studied. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Treatment during pregnancy

+1

I would not recommend any Botox or filler treatments while you are pregnant and/or trying to conceive.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Fillers and Nururo-Modulators when Planning on Conceiving or Pregnant

+1

Any non essential intervention,  be it fillers or neuro-modulators (Botox or Dysport) should be avoided when considering conceiving or when pregnant.

You should also stop all ,Tretinoin Creams, Retin-A and Retinol when conceiving or pregnant.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH,FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Botox or Fillers while trying to have a baby

+1

I would not recommend any Botox or Filler while trying to conceive or while nursing for that matter. Until there have been sufficient evidence to prove the safety of these products during pregnancy and while breastfeeding, I wouldn't take any risk. 

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox, Dysport, or FIllers during pregnancy or nursing

+1

I advise my patients to avoid anything that is not needed during pregnancy. Although I think that the chances of having a problem are remote (to say the least), why bother looking for trouble? Pregnancy is fraught with its own issues and complications- adding something elective into the mix and then having to worry simply does not make sense, no matter what the science says.

There are thousands of women that get pregnant or are pregnant but dont know it during cosmetic treatments with Botox, Dysport and fillers and there is no spike in abnormalities so we think that these are safe if you are getting treated and dont know you are pregnant, I would not worry when you find out that you are but I simply would not repeat treatments once you know you are pregnant.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Absolutely no Botox or Dysport during pregnancy or breast feeding

+1

There have been rare reports of distant migration of botulinum toxin from Botox or Dysport injections. Neither Allergan or Medicis, the manufacturers of both will conduct safety studies for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Just stick with wearing sunscreen every morning until you are done breastfeeding.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Would not use Botox or Restylane while trying to get pregnant

+1

Dear Fairy101,

i would agree that it would not be a good idea to have these treatments done while trying to get pregnant. The problem is that the effects of these products has not been studied to the extent where clear-cut definitive conclusions can be made. All of the product inserts recommend to not use these products while pregnant or attempting to be pregnant. If you were to inadvertently use them while you were pregnant, I would not worry -- just talk to your OB/GYN.

I would not however, recommend purposefully seeking out cosmetic procedures knowing that you are pregnant. Having said that, it is important for you to do your best to maintain your health, especially in the first months of your pregnancy as this is the most critical period of your baby's development.

Good luck and happy holidays!

Ritu Saini, MD

Wait til after pregnancy for any injectables

+1

I highly recommend against it. It is better to wait til after your pregnancy to receive any type of injections of Dysport and Restylane (actually all cosmetic injectables).

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Dysport and Restylane

+1

It would be safest to wait since you may not know if you are pregnant. Hope this helps. Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD