Dysport for Patient Immune to Botox?

I have tried Botox twice for the wrinkles between my eyes. I went to two different MD's with in 5 years. Botox has failed both times. I didn't even have a slight change. Apparently, I am immune to Botox or something like that. I have heard that it doesn't work for 2% of the population, not even the first time. Lucky me! My question is, should I try Dysport or will I have the same results as I did with Botox considering it is the same toxin?

Dysport when Botox will not work

+3

Dysport and Botox are very similar molecules.  If you are resistent to Botox, I doubt that Dysport will work.  However, I would suggest you do a small test area and see for sure.

Both are botulinum type A

+2

Theoretically, it's possible that you may have been exposed to botulism at some point in your life, in which case you would have developed antibodies to the botulinum toxin. Typical symptoms of botulism involve nerve function, double vision, weakness, paralysis, etc, but maybe you had a mild case that resolved on its own.

Botulism is found in improperly canned foods as well as some other foods that have been improperly stored or handles.

Dysport is the same substance as BOTOX. They are both botulinim toxin type A, so i doubt that Dysport would work if BOTOX did not. There is a type B botulinum toxin called Myobloc which may work for you. It is FDA approved in the US for treatment of neck muscle spasm but not something that I use in my practice for cosmetic use.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dysport for immune Botox paitents

+1

Dysport is Botulinum B which is slightly different from Botox which is Botulinum A.  Therefore, although Botox may not work for you, Dysport very well may.

Dysport for patient immune to Botox?

+1

I've never seen a patient "immune" to Botox and I've injected it for the past 15 years.  What you may consider immunity may be a poor result or you may have very deep frown lines and you're not a good candidate for neuromodulators. 

If you are indeed immune, Dysport, another Botulinum Toxin A, would probably not help either.  I'd have to see you in person to further evaluate you.

Ramtin Kassir, NY/NJ facial plastic surgeon

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Can't hurt to try Dysport to see if it will work for you...

+1

While it is quite possible that Dysport will not work for you if Botox didn't work for you, it also doesn't hurt to try it.  If you are interested in this type of treatment, you can try treating a single area to see if you respond or not.

Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Will Dysport work for me if Botox did not?

+1

We believe there is a low probability that Dysport will work for you if Botox did not.  With that said, if Botox results are something that you still are very interested in attaining, then it's probably worth the risk of trying Dysport and failing.  

We would suggest going in and having a small area injected (maybe the area between the eyes) to see what the effect is.  While it's possible that you have developed a resistance to Botox in some manner, it's also possible that you were not injected correctly or that too little product was used previously.  Give it another shot and good luck!

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Using Dysport in patients who have previously used Botox

+1

Dysport is a close relative of Botox that is now available in the United States through Medicis. We have seen great results in patients who have previously used Botox or in patients new to these muscle relaxers. If you have use Botox but have not been satisfied with the results, you may consider using Dysport and you may consider a stronger concentration of Dysport as you may have stronger muscles in this area. The amount of Dysport used is slightly different than the amount of Botox per area. For great results, work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience with fillers, Botox and the new Dysport. The price of Dysport will vary by the practice. In our practice, Dysport is somewhat cheaper than Botox. Keep in mind when buying either filler to make sure that you are paying by the unit instead of by the volume (per area, per cc, per ml, etc)

Pat Pazmino, MD

Dysport may work if you're "immune" to Botox

+1

I have answered this question before and will now repeat my explanation.

Dysport and Botox are both Botulinum Toxin type A products. They are, however, subtly different. It is this small difference that may account for Dysport working where Botox does not. In my practice I have treated a couple of patients that don't respond to Botox injections. They seem to be doing well with Dysport so far. Traditionally we have used Myoblock for these patients, but Dysport presents another options. I would recommend trying Dysport if you find that Botox is not effective.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

Botox and Dysport immunity

+1

Chances of your getting a positive outcome from Dysport if Botox has not worked is very slight. The products are almost identical and both work the same way on the proteins that allow signals from nerve to muscle.

Most people end up with frown lines from unconsciously contracting the forehead muscles. One "old" way of combating that habit is to use a paper pasted over the wrinkled area (called Frownies). If you are consistent in using them, you can see some lessening of the frown lines.

If you do use them, pay attention to your skin and be sure to clean the area well after removing. If you have any skin irritation, stop using them.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

If Botox didnt work Will dysport?

+1

My guess is that it wont make a difference which you use... It may make a difference if you were seeing some results but they werent lasting? If you saw no results at all it is likely you wont with Dysport since they are the same botulinum toxin A working at the same areas. But since it is cheaper than Botox why not try it once at least?

www.dsboulder.com

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist