Dysport Work for a Botox-resistant Patient?

My grandmother has built up a strong resistance to Botox through years of injections for treatment of cervical dystonia. She no longer sees a response to the injections, and she has been advised to give her body two years to degrade the immunity. Is Dysport different enough that she might respond?

Dysport vs Botox

+1

Dysport and Botox while both a botulinum toxin, they are different and therefore Dysport may work for your grandmother.

Dysport and Botox Can Be Different

+1

I have seen patients who respond to Dysport but not Botox. I would also suggest looking into Xeomin which was recently approved to treat cervical dystonia in the US. It is also a botulinum toxin type A product.

Web reference: http://innovationsfps.com

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Botox resistance is rare in my 15 year experience, and it may be worthwhile to try Dysport.  Make sure you consult with an experienced injector of Botox or Dysport.

Ramtin Kassir, MD NY/NJ facial plastic surgeon

I have patients that respond well to Dysport that Botox did not work well

+1

I personally have had patients who responded well to an equivalent dose of dysport when botox did not work well after a while for essential blepharospasm.  The compounds are similar but not exactly the same. It is hard to determine why the dysport at the same corresponding dosage would work when botox would not but I have a multiple of patients who have had that response. 

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Make sure adequate Botox or Dysport get injected for man or older woman

+1

Most of the time when a man or an older woman does not respond well to Botox, it's typically a matter of not enough Botox units got injected to the desirable areas. True resistance to Botox is exceedingly rare. I do have patients for whom Dysport may work a little better than Botox and vice versa. Myobloc may work better but not yet FDA approved for cosmetic usage.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/Botox_Dysport.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Using Dysport in patients who have previously used Botox

+1

Dysport is a close relative of Botox that is now available in the United States through Medicis. We have seen great results in patients who have previously used Botox or have developed a resistance, or in patients new to these muscle relaxers. If you have use Botox but have not been satisfied with the results, you may consider using Dysport and you may consider a stronger concentration of Dysport as you may have stronger muscles in this area. The amount of Dysport used is slightly different than the amount of Botox per area. For great results, work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience with fillers, Botox and the new Dysport. The price of Dysport will vary by the practice. In our practice, Dysport is somewhat cheaper than Botox. Keep in mind when buying either filler to make sure that you are paying by the unit instead of by the volume (per area, per cc, per ml, etc)

Dysport may work when Botox doesn't

+1

Dysport and Botox are both Botulinum Toxin type A products. They are, however, subtly different. It is this small difference that may account for Dysport working where Botox does not. In my practice I have treated a couple of patients that don't respond to Botox injections. They seem to be doing well with Dysport so far. Traditionally we have used Myoblock for these patients, but Dysport presents another options. I would recommend trying Dysport if you find that Botox is not effective.

I hope this info helps!

Resistance to Botox

+1

There are many patients who present to a plastic surgeon's office complaining that they need more and more Botox with continued use. It is completely feasible and theoretically possible that these patients should benefit from Dysport or Myobloc. 

Try Myobloc

+1

Some patients who are resistant to Botox A (Botox) seem to respond to Botox B (Myobloc). Myobloc is FDA approved and I have found it safe and effective in my practice over the last three years.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

True Botox resistance is very uncommon

+1

It may. While there may be a number of reasons someone may have achieved an unsatisfactory response to Botox, true Botox resistance is very uncommon.

It is best to consult with a qualified physician to determine which of the botulinum toxin products would be most likely to produce optimal results.

Review of medical records that indicate the dose and placement of previous botulinum toxin injections can help determine how to achieve improvement with subsequent treatments.

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon