Dysport and Breast Feeding my Newborn?

I went in for a consultation at a medical spa and decided to have Dysport done. After she had finished administering the injections, she asked if I was breastfeeding. Now I'm reading every where that I shouldn't have done this and am wondering if I should quit breastfeeding?

Dysport or Botox and Breast Feeding

+2

It is not recommended to do Dysport or Botox while pregnant or breastfeeding. However, we do not know the actual potential harm, as no studies have been done. To be safe, I would recommend that you discontinue breastfeeding for perhaps 6 to 12 hours after the injections. Although it is unknown, it is unlikely that harm will come to your baby if you continue breastfeeding after that. So, I would probably advise you to keep breastfeeding.

The concern would be if there is enough dysport that could get into the breastmilk to cause your infant to have difficulty with breathing (paralyzing the diaphragm). The amount of dysport or botox that gets into the blood stream when doing injections for cosmetic reasons is actually very very minimal. So it is most likely that you wouldn't be able to measure any dyport in the breast milk at all. Again, it hasn't been studied.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Breastfeeding and Dysport

+1

It's a good idea to avoid any elective cosmetic procedure: lasers, fillers, and neurotoxins while pregnant and/or breastfeeding.  These treatments and medications have not been tested in this population of women and are not worth the risk. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist

Dysport and Breast feeding

+1

It is not recommended to have any neurotoxin treatments (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) performed while pregnant or breastfeeding. There aren’t any studies proving the safety or lack of safety  of these products during that time. Although it is unlikely Dysport will have any effect of your child, it is always better to err on the side of caution and wait at least 24 hours before resuming breast feeding.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Dysport

+1

It is not recommended to have Dysport or Botox treatment while pregnant or nursing.  Although no studies have been done, it still should be avoided during these times.

Sam Naficy, MD

Breastfeeding and Dysport

+1

Hi Loren.  Because there is no research on breastfeeding and Dysport, no one can say for certain if there is any risk.  Most believe that there is little risk, but at the same time, we don't know any that knowingly perform the procedure to pregnant or breastfeeding women because there is no need to take the risk.

Your practitioner is irresponsible for not having a consent form or medical intake that asks this question.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Dysport and breast feeding

+1

I'm sorry this happened. While I absolutely don't believe there would be any harm to your child, we don't (obviously) do tests for Botox or Dysport or fillers on pregnant or breast feeding women. I firmly believe you shouldn't stop breast feeding, but it was (in my opinion) very poor quality that your injector didn't talk to you at all about this before beginning injections, or give you some kind of consent to read and sign before injecting that would have clearly laid out this issue! This is, frankly, a sign of a poor or inexperienced (and my guess, non-physician) injector.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Dysport and breast feeding

+1

Dysport and Botox are not recommended for pregnant women or women breast feeding because there are no studies to look at any potential side effects on the fetus or baby.  There are no human studies that show that Dyport or Botox are harmful to a fetus or infant though.  Since Dysport and Botox are injected into just a localized area of the body, it does not circulate throughout the system.  The dose used is also very small.  Because of those points, I don't think that you need to stop breast feeding.  You could also just run it by your OB/GYN or pediatrician to get their opinions.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon