To Lift or Not to Lift!? (photo)

My PS suggested I may want to get a crescent lift with my BA. I'm so on the fence. Do i really need it ? Will it make that much of a difference? I used to be a nice full C..than after nursing..this is what i got left. Yuck. I can't wait to be a nice full D-ish. Am i risking anything by not lifting? He said if i choose to, I can do it at a later date. Decisions, decisions...

Breast Aug with or without a Lift?

Thank you for sharing your photos.  The question of whether to have a breast lift with a breast augmentation is a very common one!

My experience tells me that you would be happier with a Breast Lift at the same time as your breast implants.  In fact, I had a patient who had the breast aug procedure both ways--without a lift the first time and with a lift for the second surgery (soon after). See the link below for a detailed  summary of her experience.

In the end , she was much happier with the Breast Lift!  With the breast aug/ lift she had more prominent and perky breasts. Perhaps this will help you make your decision.  

I have also attached a video about Crescent Lift Mastopexy.

Ricardo Rodriguez, MD

Baltimore, Maryland

Breast augmentation with or without a lift

I would agree with Dr. Rosenblatt's response. I don't think your arms are too elevated in the photos and you appear to be borderline but still with the nipple-areola high enough relative to the inframammary crease to allow for an augmentation alone. This should be done by a plastic surgeon who doesn't suggest crescent lifts and/or think that implants lift breasts and larger ones lift them more. If the lower pole of the breast and the inframammary crease level is  not too low and can be filled out and adjusted by a plastic surgeon experienced with this, it will give a lift "effect" to the breast and avoid the scars of a periareolar or vertical lift. The lift can be done in the future if the breast continues to droop. 

Keep in mind that the minimum size increase with a properly sized and positioned round, subpectoral implant is one cup size. If your goal is volume this is what an implant does. If your goal is to reposition your breast higher on your chest without giving it forward projection or filling in the upper pole, that is what a true lift does (not a so-called "crescent lift" or even a peri-areolar lift). 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Depends on the look you want

Hello. It depends on the look you are going for. If you would like very perky breasts with a full upper pole I would definitely recommend a lift. If you are going for a more natural look then you might be happy with the result you would get from an augmentation alone. I would recommend a consultation to decide the best choice for you.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Lift or no lift

Your nipple areola complexes look a bit low. I would not do a crescent lift but rather a circumareola( all around). I think they settle better.

Lift for sure

You have all the indications for lift. The size of areola, nipple position, breast touching the chest wall and breast shape are are the indications for the lift. You would get better result with full lift . The concern with the crescent lift is the long term result and loss of nipple projection.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

To Lift or Not to Lift!

With your arms elevated to take the photo you are simulating a lift, so there is probably more ptosis (sag) than is apparent. 

I think a lift is in your interest, and probably I would recommend a vertical (lollipop) lift, but at least a periareolar (donut) lift. A crescent lift will probably only elongate the areola.  

The "risk" of not doing a lift is having the unsatisfying outcome of your own breast tissue draping off the implants, and the only escape is a lift. I think this is so likely that I would do the lift at the same time.

All the best. 

To Lift or Not to Lift!?

While a lift is not totally necessary, it will certainly give you much improved results over a pure augmentation. In your case you need to consider an areola reducing lift like the Benelli procedure. A crescent lift at best will give you almost no change and it is much more likely to give you a distorted areola that will require more surgery to correct. The benelli lift will resize and reposition your areola to a more youthful appearance. It does not really give much lift to the breast tissue, but is probably all the lift you need if coupled with an implant for size change.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

To Lift or Not to Lift

I am not a fan of the crescent lift and have had plenty of patients sent to me to repair the crescent.  I have this same discussion at least five times a day and it always comes down to size and shape and especially your goals.  With your nipple on the lower third of the breast and slightly below the crease I think a lift is appropiate if this is you goal.  Once you do a lift there is no going back.  If you are questioning this then you can always do implants and leave the lift to a later time.  What is most important to you is what counts-size ,shape, or both.

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

Hi Julie. Thank for the question. You may need the lift to give you the result you want. This prevents coming back a second time. A formal consult could better determine this..Dr Thomas Narsete   Austin, Tx

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

To lift or not to lift.

From the photos you sent, I would think you would benefit from a lift. I would rather have a woman have a lift with an appropriate sized implant rather than go for a much larger implant to avoid a lift. Without a true examination in person, it is sometimes difficult to be totally sure, but am strongly leaning that way.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon