Dry Eyes 18 Days Post Upper and Lower Bleph? (photo)

My eyes itch constantly and feel dry despite using drops. My upper lids look great and I am worried as the swelling seems to be gone why do I still have severe dryness. I never had any problems pre-procedure

Dry eyes post surgery

+1

I would have you consult your opthalmologist. You need a schirmer test for tear production, then you might need temporary plugs in your lacrimal ducts,until your lids relax more and give you protection. The eye dotor would also be helpful in treating your dry eye symptons.

Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Dry eye after blepharoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon for patients to have some dry eye symptoms after blepharoplasty. Often this can be treated with eye drops. If you are not able to clsoe your eyes completely at night, then taping them shut help.,  Really it is best to be seen in person and seen by your surgeon.  Good luck.

Dry Eyes 18 Days Post Upper and Lower Bleph?

+1

Sounds like blepharitis, that needs eye drops. I recommend Tobradex drops 3 times a day. But best to either "se" your surgeon or an eye specialist. 

Generally, it is not unusual to have dry eye symptoms for 6 to 8 weeks after blepharoplasty.

+1

It is also not unusual for blepharoplasty to be the start of permanent dry eye symptoms.  This can occur even if you had a base line examination prior to surgery by your ophthalmologist and were assured you had acceptable tear function.  Certain steps in surgery are much more likely to exacerbate dry eye.  In particular an infracillary incision will affect the movement of the lower eyelid margin.  Upper blepharoplasty incision will affect the ability of the eye to close briskly.  Both contribute to dry eye after surgery.  If your surgeon is not also a board certified ophthalmologist (as oculoplastic surgeons are), please don't expect them to do a good job managing dry eye.  They don't even have the slit lamp microscope needed to examine the surface of the cornea.  Please see your ophthalmologist, a cornea specialist, or an oculoplastic surgeon for dry eye management.

Dry eyes 18 days after upper and lower blepharoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon to have some temporary dryness after blepharoplasty surgery, but this normally resolves with time.  Are you able to close your eyes completely?  The correct drops can be helpful, but I would recommend mentioning the dry eye problem to your surgeon.  You may need an exam to determine the cause of the dryness.  Other treatments may be needed to help, depending on the cause.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon