During a Breast Reduction Have You Ever Reduced a Patients Breast to a Small B?

Im a healthy 33yr old who is 5ft,4in. Before my 2nd child, in my 20's, I was more active at 105-110lbs, but now I'm a stayhome mom, at 120-125lbs with 32-34DDD/F bra size. I would like to get a Breast Reduction down to a small Bcup, but most women who want to be a Bcup end up a full Ccup. How can I communicate to my surgeon that I want to have smaller breast for my small frame? Can I safely have 600grams to 800grams removed from each breast, taking me to a 32-34B? Have you ever done it?

Breast Reduction to Small Cup Size?

+3

Yes, breasts can be reduced to a very small cup size tothe point where they may even look “disproportionate” to the remainder of the patient's torso torso.   The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.   Sometimes, doing the procedure in more than one stage allows the tissues to  acclimate to the surgically decreased blood flow before  further tissue removal (and potentially further decreased blood flow)  occurs ( with the 2nd stage operation).

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "B cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Size result after breast reduction

+2

I would agree with Drs. Haydon and Pousti. Unless the nipple-areola is detached and put back as a full thickness skin graft or as a full dermal pedicle, the limit of downsizing depends on the volume of the pedicle supplying blood flow to the nipple-areola. In effect, breast reduction is removing breast tissue down to this minimum of breast tissue and viable nipple-areola with a re-draping of the skin around it. 

Some general things to consider: Average breast size (for a given chest circumference) is a mid B cup. It doesn't make a lot of sense to reduce a breast from too big to less than average although proper size is certainly a relative choice for women as we see in augmenting breasts. The normal range of breast sizes is A-B-C cup. Breasts larger than a C cup are out of proportion by definition and functionally, the female chest is built to handle A, B, and C cup size breasts which do not cause problems because of their size/weight. 

Although I have seen women who don't feel their breasts were reduced far enough, I have seen women who have had a breast reduction and later felt they needed to have their breasts augmented. A C cup size breast is usually a good compromise and solves issues of proportion and functional symptoms as well as allowing for future changes. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+2

Hard to know without photos.  The problem with breast reduction is that the size often goes down over time as swelling subsides and some breast fat gets resorted.  It is easy to over reduce breasts with reduction surgery, and the breasts can then look wide and flat.  I think it is fine to let the surgeon know you prefer to be on the small side, but beware, they can be made too small, and their shape will not be ideal.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast reduction is a great procedure

+2

Thanks for your question. Without a picture it is hard to say what size you could  go down to. When a reduction is designed, we have to plan for blood flow to the nipple areolar complex. There is a certain amount of 'nonnegotiable" breast tissue that must be left behind. Routinely in small reductions I use a vertical reduction pattern that eliminates the horizontal scar. If a patient wants too be very small, then I will use a pattern that allows more skin and breast tissue to be removed. The tradeoff is having more scar and sometimes a flatter appearance. Hopefully you can find a surgeon that uses different techniques based on the situation. Best of Luck! Breast reduction is a great procedure.

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Breast Reduction to a B-Cup

+2

It is possible to make you any size smaller than you are that you wish to be by breast reduction. Making you a C-Cup is what most people choose, since that is what the clothing manufacturers generally make clothing for. It is also quite easy to obtain with good smooth contours. Making you a B-Cup is a little harder, but any experienced plastic surgeon should be able to do so. Your job is to communicate exactly what you desire and make sure you are heard. Also, repeat your request on the day of surgery.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon