Had Duodenal Switch 6/11, Scheduled for Umbilical Removal Due to Infection; Will I Look Alien?

Scheduled for Umbilical Removal Due to Infection; Will I Look Alien?

+2

There will be a scar at the site of the navel, which itself is a scar from the site of the umbilical cord that has healed. If the appearance is unattractive after 6 months or so, a plastic surgery evaluation would be my suggestion. Best wishes.

Umbilicus

+1

The umbilicus is just a scar and that is why it looks different in all of us. It can be reconstructed easily at a later time

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Umbilicus Removal

+1

If you need to have your belly button removed because of infection following a duodenal switch, then you should have it done.  Post-operatively, this does not bother most people but I would recommend looking at pictures online to see if it will bother you.

Sacha Obaid, MD