Light Chemical Peels Not Giving Desired Results For Dull, Dry & Saggy Skin. Other Options? (photo)

I have been through a lot of stress and lack of sleep during the last 6 months. I am 46, my skin looks dull/grey, lacking healthy glow and has sagged visibly. Also my eyes have dark circles and have lost roundness of my face. I am having light chemical peels done at a beautician after my doctor's recommendation. So far I have had 2 but still not happy with the result. Will my skin go back to looking healthy and more importantly a bit tighter after 5-6 peels? What else can I do?

Light Chemical Peels Give Minimal Results

+1

Dear Julieyoi, Thank you for your question and photo.  Skin is a mirror of our health and habits.  Skin shows stress, lack of sleep, and poor eating habits.  Your first goal should be to take good care of yourself to correct any dysfunctional daily patterns that are reflected by your skin. Light skin peels, such as those a cosmetologist is allowed to provide, are not likely to restore your skin to its former quality.  There are many other options including deeper peels, such as TCA, injectables and conservative surgery.  A consultation with a PS certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery will help you make some good choices for yourself. 

Unhappy with results after light chemical peels

+1

I want to commend you for providing photos which greatly improve the quality of the replies you will receive.  There is a marginal benefit to light peels done at the beautician's office.  Certainly, it does make folks happy that they are doing something for themselves.  But to improve the results, you need to get deeper.  Medium to deep chemical or laser peels would probably help you to achieve the results you are seeking.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

There are many peels and one will work for you!

+1

There are many chemical peels on the market. You likely need a deeper peel with more active ingredients. You also can benefit from a cream containing skin lightening ingredients such as azelaic acid, kojic acid or hydroquinone.

Strict sun protection is needed to ensure you maintain great results. The sun will otherwise oxidize more melanin pigment on your pretty skin and make the matter much worse!

I always use a complex approach of sunscreens, peels and creams to help even the skin tone. Most people really need a few chemical peels and we can always go higher in the intensity of the peel, depending on the reaction after each treatment.

I am sure you will have great results. Try a Vi peel, or a TCA peel. Make sure someone who is a skin expert, like a dermatologist, is doing it for you.

Tanya Kormeili, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

+1

Based solely upon the posted photos no "light peel" will help what you desire. Either deeper TCA peelings or Laser peel, or even mini facelift. Finally an option of enriched fat grafts. 

Peels won't make you happy

+1

Having just light peels will not make you happy as I think you are looking for more than that. A deeper peel might give your skin a brighter smoother look but I think that you would do really well with some fillers to enhance volume. What you do depends on how you want to approach this and how much time you want  to take until complete. Sculptra will give you the most volume for your money but takes  many weeks to complete. Other fillers can be used for immediate result (per lane, radiuses etc. ). 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Unfortunately several mild peels do not equal one deeper peel.

+1

Juliey

It is not likely that this approach is going to get you where you want to be.  These mild peels are very safe and are minimal down time.  However, it is not true that repeating the same mild peel over and over is going to make a bigger difference.  You would benefit from a more comprehensive approach.  This does not have to mean surgery.  BOTOX, Fillers, and possibly a deeper peel are all very good options.