Natural Oils Lost After Baking Soda Cleansing and Retin-A

I cleansed my face with baking soda water for three days and used Retin-A 0.5% for two days as an Anti-aging treatment. There was a lot of peeling off. Now my skin has a dull, flat appearance with no natural oils at all. Will this eventually resolve itself or did I damage my oil pores? How can I hasten recovery? This has never happened before. The only thing different I did was the baking soda cleansing.

Oils Will Return

+2

Your oil will return. You have not damaged the sebaceous glands. These are the glands that produce sebum and are well secreted below the skin.

You have probably produced an irritant contact dermatitis from the baking soda. This will soon clear up. You might hasten the resolution of this problem by buying (and applying) OTC hydrocortisone ointment. Albolene will also help. While most dermatologists like this as a make-up remover, I have found it helpful as a moisturizer for very dry and irritated skin. Its contents of mineral oil, parrafin, and petrolatum make this ideal for very dry skin. However, you cannot go out in public like this, unless you are famous and want to masquarade your appearance. So use it at night.

Aquaphor, the old dermatologist's stand-by is also useful.

By the way, where did you hear about this as an anti-aging remedy. It's certainly a new one to me!

Virginia Beach Dermatologist