When is the right time to do a Revision Rhinoplasty? (photos)

This is my 8th week after a bad nose job .according to my surgeon he feels that the nose was overdone and that a more refined yet not overdone nose is what we should shoot for.Am going for a revision in December.what do you think?The main reason for my rhinoplasty was because I had a deviated septum/ enlarged turbinates which made breathing difficult.

Problem nose job and revision

+2
Your problem is that you had a very thick skinned African-American nose with weak lower nose cartilages. This is very typical of your ethnic group.....and the result looks a lot like many I have seen by surgeons who have little experience with African- American noses. The results typically look like this where everything seems compressed and pushed in. First and foremost you MUST go to a surgeon who has experience in revision rhinoplasty work and with Afro-American patients. Your revision will be complex and take a lot of good judgement, otherwise you will get on a treadmill of one bad surgery after the next and that is a disaster. Specifically you need to have the nostrils debulked and you need some cartilage grafts to widen and open the dome areas and get rid of the pinched in look. Ear cartilage works great for this. I cannot believe this work was done for someone complaining of septum and breathing problems.....Good luck!....You can probably have the revision at any time for this as your problems will not improve with time.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhno

+2
Hope7, personally I would rarely do a revision rhinoplasty before waiting a year.  In the meantime I recommend you visit with several facial plastic specialist.  Make sure they have at least 10 years of experience.  Revision rhinoplasty is the most difficult procedure.I would further recommend that you visit their website and make sure you like they're work before visiting.  Your revision is not going to be simple.  I wish you good luck.

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

The right time for revision rhinoplasty

+2
Dear Hope7,

• Typically, you would like to wait 6 months for things to settle out
  • It looks like it is a good plan to reverse some of the work done
  • Grafting of cartilage will be essential to help open the nostrils (so you can breathe) and create a more natural shape to them
  • Please choose your revision rhinoplasty surgeon carefully, this is not an easy slam dunk kind of case...it will require expertise and thought

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD