Due to Have Upper Blepharoplasty with Facial Fat Transfer in 6 Weeks. Recommended Time off Work?

Im just abit concerned the swelling and brusing as have not told anyone at work or family so having to hide away only my husband knows. I have taken 2 weeks holiday to recover and do not wish my colleagues to notice so also bought some pink tinted glasses to cover any redness , would you suggest i take 3 weeks

Recovery following Blepharoplasty & Fat Injection

Recovery following Blepharoplasty & fat injection is usually quite rapid. We provide all patients postoperative camouflage make-up so that most people can go back to work on the fourth day, the day after the sutures come out, if desired. I returned to practice after more than blepharoplasty on day 5. No one seemed to notice that I had had anything done. Two weeks should be more than enough time, but you will still have to wear some make-up for up to three weeks to disguise the bruising and for a couple of months to cover the red of the scars.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

209 Hospital Drive
Highlands, NC 28741

Recovery time based on specifics of procedure and individual healing

For a blepharoplasty alone, I usually tell patients to expect about 10-14 days recovery. Swelling and bruising will be considerable in the first week, but after that make-up can be used to cover any residual bruising. However, every patients recovery time is different, so if you really want to look 100% healed, 3 weeks would certainly be sufficient. Since you are also having fat injections in the face, you should check with your surgeon on his projected healing time in terms of both swelling and bruising. Depending where and what volume of fat you are having injected, healing time can be either less than or greater than two weeks. Making a careful recovery plan with your surgeon is the best way to ensure you have ample time to heal but don't take any unneeded time off.

Lawrence Bass, MD

568 Park Ave
New York, NY 10065

I agree that your surgeon will know best how long it takes to recover from the surgery they perform.

If you truly want a safe time frame so no one asks if you have just had surgery, then 3 weeks sounds about right.  Please understand that people who know you may suspect that you have surgery due to the improvement in your appearance.

9001 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Return to work after upper blepharoplasty and fat transfer

Thank you for the question. The best person to answer that question is your plastic surgeon. For my patients, I usually tell them that swelling and bruising can last upto three weeks. They can wear makeup after one week. Since you are having fat injection; your recovery may be a bit longer. Good luck.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

1001 B Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118

The answer to this question is dependent on the level and extent of your surgery. Your surgeon should be able to advise you about the amount of time you'd need to take off. In my practice, most of my patients have little time to be away from their responsibilities so when I do this type of procedure, peolple usually go back to work in about 1 week.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

61 East 66th Street
New York, NY 10065

Healing time after a upper blephoplasty procedure...

The healing time for a upper blepharoplasty is typically 10-14 days so the 2 weeks you took should be fine.  Everyone heals differently, so no one can guarantee that you will be perfect at two weeks, but most patients are fine.  If you are a healthy person who does not smoke, it makes the process of healing smoother with less complications.  In two weeks time you should be able to cover any residual healing areas with makeup.  Consult your plastic surgeon with any concerns.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

1150 Amboy Ave
Edison, NJ 08837

Two weeks should be enough

This is a tough question to answer because every patient swells and bruises differently. In most patients 2 weeks should be enough to recover so that even if you have some residual bruising, it can be covered by makeup.

However if you have the luxury of taking 3 weeks, and want to be safe, and additional week certainly won't hurt.

Talk to your surgeon.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

There is never enough time for post-op healing: so it seems.  Since we physicians do not make the rules on "healing time," better think it though for yourself along with the use of make-up.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

9834 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037