Duck-shaped Lips 48 + Hours After Juvederm Filler? (photo)

Should I expect the swelling to be much smaller compared to 2 days ago when I had an injection? When I should start to worry and contact my doctor?

Duck Lips 2 Days After Juvederm

+2

Juvederm and other Hyaluronic Acid fillers can take on water for about 48 hours after injection so the swelling that you have may be due to this excess fluid.  Without "before" pictures, it is difficult to say whether or not too much filler was used.  The bruise on your left side will take longer to resolve than the swelling.   If you feel that too much filler was used, it can be dissolved with Hyaluronidase.  It is never too soon to contact your injector if you have concerns.  

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Should I worry about swollen lips 48 hrs after Juvederm ?

+1

It is very common to have swelling and occasionally bruising such as you have.  The peak of swelling is usually within the first 24-48 hrs. then is starts going away.  Usually by day 3-4 the swelling goes down and things look better.  So be patient, you may be very happy with your results in another week! 

Sam Naficy, MD

Juvederm

+1

There is often initial swelling after soft tissue fillers e.g. Juvederm injections, and this typically lasts up to a week. Best to have a follow-up visit with the injector 1-2 weeks after the procedure.

Anatoli Freiman, MD, FRCPC

Toronto Dermatology Centre

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

+1

Thanks for the question and posting the photo. Swelling occurs with lip injections. The issues are how much was injected, are you a "bleeder" or taking blood thinning supplements (like fit. E), or where you a true candidate for lip fillers??? Thus if you are posting this question and photo YES call your INJECTING DOC and be seen. In most cases this will subside over a weeks time. But better safe than sorry CALL. 

Duck lips: Give it some time.

+1

Many patients fear being over injected or having "duck lips" as you described, especially when they first get their treatment done.  Since it has only been two days and you have noticeable bruising in your photo, time is going to be what you need.  I would wait until all the bruising has subsided and then reevaluate your lip's appearance.  You want your lips to be proportioned-1/3 upper lip and 2/3 lower lip.  If they are not, I would definitely discuss with your provider.  I would also consider adding fillers to your chin where you have lost volume.  This will help balance your entire lower face.  Hang in there!

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist