Swollen Breast/when to Buy Bras with Underwire?

I recently had breast reduction surgery on Sept 5th. It has been almost 3 weeks since I had it done and I am curious as to when I can wear an underwire bra. Also I went to get measured out of curiosity to see what size I was. Before the surgery I was a 34ddd. When I got measured at Victorias Secret they said I was between a 34d or dd. Needless to say I was not happy with the results. When is a good time to buy underwire bras after surgery?

Breast reduction

+2

At three weeks out from surgery your breasts are still swollen.. Usually by about 6 weeks or so provided that my patients are healed, I let them wear an underwire bra. Best to ask your surgeon.

Bra use after a reduction

+1

varies by surgeon to surgeon.  My patients can get a couple of underwire bras in the early post-operative period and wear them, more so if a vertical technique was used.  As for your results, no one can guarantee a size and I simply ask my patients if they want me to be aggressive, conservative or just do it 'my way' and they results usually work out well for them.  If they are larger then they desire, sometimes revision liposuction can be done in the office under local but you should discuss your concerns and options with your surgeon.  PS: VS upsizes cups... to make you larger then you really are - at least that has been my experience.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Size after Breast Reduction

+1

In most cases, patients can wear an underwire bra 1 to 2 months after surgery, but check with your surgeon first. 

As for the your new bra cup size, don't pay attention to this. The goal of a breast reduction is to make your breasts smaller and improve your symptoms. The is no way to predict your final bra cup size since there is so much variability between bras and patients. It is better to focus on how they look and how you feel, rather than an arbitrary number. In 3 months, you may fit into a different sized bra. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Swollen Breast/when to Buy Bras with Underwire after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction surgery; hopefully you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to these types of questions. Most  surgeons will recommend waiting several months before using underwire bras;  my concern is the potential for irritation of incision lines by the wired bras. As you know, also the breasts will continue to change over the course of the first several months ( and even year).  Therefore, not a good idea to spend a lot of resources on relatively expensive bras…

Breast Redyction

+1

I ask patients to wait 3 months before they get new expensive bras as at this time almost everyone's swelling has completely subsided

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC