How Long Do I Have to Keep Taping my Breast Reduction Scars to Reduce Scarring?

I had a breast reduction 8 weeks ago and have been using Micropore on the scars. How long do i have to do this?

Taping breast reduction scars

+2

After a breast reduction if the breast is not poorly supported or you are very physically active the motion and tension on the incisions will gradually stretch the incisions so they look wider.  Taping the incision accomplishes two things.  It reduces the tension of the incision while its trying to heal and reduces scars from spreading.  Second it helps to reduce hypertrophic scars from raising up.  I usually have my patients tape their scars for 3 months.  During this time the scars are weak and tend to spread or widen. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Dubai plastic surgery expert on Breast Reduction scars

+1

Dubai Plastic Surgery

Breast reduction scars need meticulous attention to detail and I have developed a post surgical scar protocol to improve longterm scarring; using laser and topicals. 

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Taping scars after breast surgery

+1

An older wise professor of mine liked to have patients use micropore or paper tape on incision for 6-8 weeks. I do not know of any scientific evidence to support this technique, but I admit to recommending it as well because I think jsut like silicone sheets I believe the contact and the tape itself may help with tension on the wounds. 

Taping my Breast Reduction Scars to Reduce Scarring

+1

Thanks for the question.I have no idea how taping as scar with micropore help it.You are supposed start scar treatment at this stage one of the most effective comes by the name of Mepiform which is like a sticker that sticks to the scar area may be up to 10 days and does not come out even with shower. I am not sure if you can find it in your state. You can order it on line.You should continue this treatment for 6 months by that time it would have matured and let you PS then decide if it should be continued more. Wish you all the best.

Web reference: http://www.dubai-aesthetica.com/body/liposuction-women.html

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Taping breast reduction scars

+1
I do not have my patients tape breast reduction scars unless there is a need to do so and have excellent results. Scarring is dependent on factors including your body's propensity to heal and the surgical closure. I spend a lot of time on fine suture closure in the OR which is the best method for achieving good results.

No need for long term taping of breast reduction scars.

+1

Hi.

After three or four weeks, we stop the taping and have patients apply a scar product such as Biocorneum twice a day.

Taping of Breast Reduction Scars

+1

I do not have patients tape the scars of the breast reduction, but this is not unreasonable.  Ask your plastic surgeon what protocol should be followed.  This is very individual, and each plastic surgeon has his or her own ideas.