Corners of Sorrow?

I had breast reduction on Nov 19 and am healing well except for the T zone areas on each breast. Any advice with regards to wound care? Do i need to take a preventative antibiotic for infection?

T Incision Delayed Healing Common

+2

Delayed Healing at the T incision has been reported to be from about 10% up to 60% in some series.  Most surgeons who use this technique have a rate somwhere in between.  I do not consider this a complication, but a sequelae of the the operation.  It will heal well with good scarring.  I would recommend cleansing the wound daily with saline, half-strength peroxide or a commercial dermal cleanser such as one by Smith & Nephew.  Keeping the wound moist with antibiotic ointment or a hydrogel dressing and a nonstick dressing will accellerate healing.  Best wishes!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Healing Difficulties after Breast Reduction

+2

-I would definitely recommend talking to your plastic surgeon to find out what he or she recommends.

-Occasionally, at the inverted T incision region, delayed healing occurs, and the skin edges separate.  The good news is that with good wound care and time, these areas will go on to heal over a few weeks without the need for additional surgery.

-I find that keeping the areas moist with Bacitracin ointment (which one can get over the counter) promotes healing.  Antibiotics are rarely indicated in these situations.

-Best of luck to you! 

Web reference: http://www.dr-cooper.com

Wound Healing Problem after Breast Reduction?

+2

Thank you for the question and the poetic description of the area of concern ( “corners of sorrow”) after breast reduction surgery.

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination, it may be helpful for you to know that wound healing problems can occur after breast reduction surgery;  with local wound care,  these wounds generally go on to heal over the course of a few weeks.

As you know, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource to help you through this potentially stressful period.  He/she will likely have specific recommendations as to wound care.  Antibiotics are not necessarily indicated ( if an infection is not present).

Best wishes;  hopefully, you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Inverted T Healing Issues Following Breast Reduction

+1

Separation at the inverted T zone in breast reduction is a very common occurrence.  The good news here is that even a separation of 1 to 1.5 cm will likely heal and contract very well to produce a nice thin scar.  If there is a great deal of wound separation, this may still heal well, but a revision may be needed in the future.    Antibiotics are not needed unless there are signs of infection.

Delayed wound healing is common at the inverted T zone

+1

DubaiDoubleH: The inverted T zone is a frequent place for delayed wound healing, as it represents a high "stress" point, where the outer and inner breast flaps unite with the vertical limb.  Frequently the deeper sutures will get exposed, causing a little irritation, occasionally some blood and pus, which alarms the patient.  This is called a "stitch abscess" and although it sounds ominous, it should be brought to your PS consultant's attention promptly.  (S)/he will be able to make recommendations on both local wound care and antibiotic therapy.  Occasionally the offending suture knot will be trimmed and the problem resolve.  In the event that the scar widens, you may ask about delayed scar revision, 6-9 months after it has resolved.  Good luck.