At 37, I Weigh 93kgs with BMI of 37.5. Am Done with Kids, Am I a Candidate for Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I was born 9lbs and have always been heavier than my peers.After kids, desk job, stressed life, I have been gaining weight constantly.Last year I lost 10kgs, went down from 93kgs to 83kgs, only to gain it back.Both my kids were born out of c-section. Am I a candidate for tummy tuck? Am done have kids.I have been reading a lot about the different surgical procedures like gastric by-pass, gastric sleeve surgery,lapband but am concerned about the risks since its involves the organs.

Three options for improved abdominal shape

+1
Hello, Thank you for the photo. It appears that you may benefit from additional weight loss before your tummy tuck. A tummy tuck alone at this weight can be accomplished and would provide some improvement but would not provide the best result possible. In experienced hands you may undergo liposuction of the entire waist front to back and a tummy tuck all at the same time. This requires experience on the part of your plastic surgeon but can deliver excellent results at your current weight. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Tummy Tuck with high BMI

+1

Now that you are done having kids it is time to hit the gym.  You are not a surgical candidate with such a high BMI. Not only is the surgery more risky in terms of infections, seroma cavities, etc but the end result will more than likely less that what you expected.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with elevated BMI

+1

I agree with the prior post. In my Austin, Texas plastic surgery practice I do not perform an abdominoplasty on any patients with a BMI over 30.  I would reccomend diet, exercise, or surgical weight loss before looking into a tummy tuck.  This will reduce your risks of having problems recovering from the surgery and should give you a much improved result.  Good Luck!  Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Safety in abdominoplasty surgery

+1

The most important factor in aesthetic surgery must always be safety. It is known that the heavier you are (and the higher your BMI), the higher the risks associated with surgery, including wound healing problems, bleeding and infection. 

Normally I like to have patients with a BMI no higher than 30-32, which means that you are currently too overweight. In addition to improving the safety of surgery if you lose weight, you will also get a much nicer aesthetic result. However, whatever your weight for surgery, it should be a weight you are comfortable being stable at. You can always put weight back on after surgery and reduce the effect of your surgery.

I suggest you start a weight loss programme that has regular weigh-ins and regular support and encouragement - I find these are usually very successful.

Good luck!

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty Candidate

+1

In my practice, I generally do not offer abdominoplasty surgery to anyone with a BMI above 30.  The associated morbidity is too high.  I don't know what the surgeons in your area consider too high a risk.  I suggest you see a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)