Dual Plane Same As over Muscle?

i wondered if you could kindly confirm, is the dual plane method another term for over the muscle method? I'm confused and always thought they were two totally different techniques but from what I'm reading in now wondering if in fact they are the same?

Dual Plane in Breast Implant Surgery

+1

The Dual Plane technique places an implant partially beneath the Pectoralis muscle (submuscular) but allows the lower part of the implant to lie only beneath the breast tissue (subglandular). So the implant is really in a combination of positions. Depending on how much sagging there is in the breast, will determine how much of the implant is allowed to be covered by the implant vs allowing it to be more just beneath the breast tissue. I use this technique most of the time. it is flexible and allows for variation between patients. It combines most of the benefits of both submuscular and subglandular.

Dual Plane Technique

+1

"Dual Plane" technique is a marketing term for under the muscle. One of the only times an implant may be placed completely under the muscle is in a breast reconstruction and that is certainly no where near 100%. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Dual Plane Terminology

+1

Let me clarify some terminology that many plastic surgeons themselves misuse.

1. Submuscular = the implant is COMPLETELY under the muscle with no release of the muscle (rarely done).
  2. Subpectoral = the implant is placed under the pectoralis major muscle, with the inferior edge of the muscle released so that the lower portion of the implant is covered by gland.  This is what most people refer to as "submuscular"; however, they are technically incorrect. A classical subpectoral placement is the same as a Dual Plane I.
  3. Dual Plane = a form of subpectoral implantation with varying degrees of muscle release/separation from the gland in order to vary the amount of muscle/gland coverage ratio.

It may be semantics, but semantics are important.  In summary, Dual Plane is a form of under the muscle or subpectoral placement.

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

What does Dual Plane breast augmentation mean?

+1

Dear Biddy

Dual Plane is the name of the modern technique of submuscular (under the muscle) breast augmentation. It involves the top part of the implant being put under the muscle, with the lower part of the implant being under the breast gland itself. In dual plane breast augmentation, the muscle is freed up from various attachments as well as from the breast gland, with the purpose of allowing the breast to redrape over the muscle and implant in the most natural way possible.

It is an excellent technique in certain circumstances, however subglandular breast augmentation (on top of the muscle) is also still widely used (again, for the right situation).

I hope this clarifies things for you!

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Dual plane

+1

Subglandular is on top of the muscle, total muscular coverage is completely under, and dual plane is a hybrid.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Dual Plane is Different than Over the Muscle

+1

This is a common question and can be confusing since breast augmentation is the most common cosmetic surgery performed in the US.  Dual plane is when the implant is placed under the muscle and has about 10-15 percent portion of the inferior part of the implant with breast gland coverage only.  This is a nice look because it is natural.  Submuscular usually means complete coverage of the implant with the pectoralis muscle.  Subglandular means the implants are completely on top of the muscle and have only breast gland covering them.  I hope this helps! Tripti Burt, MD

Tripti Burt, MD

Are Dual Plane and Submuscular the Same?

+1

Thank you for your question. In a dual plane augmentation the surgeon will release the muscle (Pectoralis) from its' insertion into the ribs and also release the breast tissue from the Pectoralis muscle. The extent of breast tissue released from the muscle is typically dictated by the results the surgeon is trying to achieve.

A dual plane augmentation will commonly be used  to correct breasts with tissue that is very mobile, have glandular ptosis (drooping), and also for breasts with a constriction in its' bottom half (lower pole) as is seen in patients with tuberous breasts.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Dual plane breast augmentation

+1

No, dual plane and over the muscle is not the same.  In a dual plane procedure, a portion of the implant is under the muscle.  The superior half of the implant is covered by muscle and the bottom half is under the breast tissue.  The amount of implant covered by the muscle can be controlled based on how much of the muscle is released as well as how much the breast is separated from the muscle.  This allows for more precision in placement of the implant than just the traditional submuscular placement.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

What is "Dual Plane" Breast Augmentation?

+1

The "dual plane" position refers to the positioning of a breast implant in the sub muscular position superiorly and the subglandular position inferiorly. It is essentially another way to describe the submuscular positioning.

Hope this helps.

Dual Plane Same As over Muscle?

+1

No.

Dual plane implants are placed under the pectoral muscle,, which covers the upper half or so of the implant. The lower half is in a similar plane as an above the muscle implant, hence the term dual plane.

By most but not all definitions dual plane is the same as submuscular or subpectoral.

Thanks for the question, best wishes.