Can Dual Plane Breast Augmentation Provide "Lift", and is It Different from Submuscular? (photo)

My PS said all submuscular = dual plane, that lift is only possible with a lift. He said he could use dual plane on my saggier one, but it would only work in theory. Then, back to his stance that it's all submuscular. I sent him a story with befores like mine, down to the lower nipple on one side. Her result is just what I want. Her PS did submuscular on her perky boob, dual plane on her saggy one. The result is perfectly symmetrical. The nipple that was lower looks lifted. Could this work for me?

Dual Plane Augmentation

The terminology of augmentation can be somewhat confusing, even for plastic surgeons in that different surgeons refer to some things differently.  When most plastic surgeons refer to submuscular placement of the implant they often mean that the upper part of the implant will be covered by muscle and the lower part will not.  So, this is really a dual plane position of the implant as opposed to a complete submuscular placement of the implant which could mean that both the upper and lower parts of the implant are covered by muscle.  Complete submuscular coverage is rarely done and would not be appropriate in your situation based on your photos.  To make things more confusing, some plastic surgeons will only refer to a dual plane position if, in addition to releasing the lower part of the muscle, they then do more release of the muscle so that it retracts upward.  This allows more of the lower part of the implant to be situated in a subglandular location and less of the upper part of the implant to be located in the submuscular location.  By allowing more of the lower implant to be subglandular the hope is that loose tissue in the lower breast will be stretched and give the appearance of a lift.  I think your plastic surgeon is essentially correct in that to get a true lift you need to remove skin but based on your photos your probably don't need that.  I hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Can dual plane breast augmentation provide "lift", and is it different from submuscular?

Judging by your photographs I think you would be a good candidate for a dual plane breast augmentation.When a patient presents with a small amount of breast ptosis (sag) a dual plane breast augmentation is a very effective technique to help avoid the need for a breast lift and still allow the implant to be placed under the muscle. When an implant is placed under the muscle and the overlying breast has some degree of sag the muscle will hold the implant back and not allow it to fill the loose tissue at the bottom of the breast The word dual means two and the word plane refers to the natural separation between two layers of tissue. In the breast there is a natural separation between the breast tissue and the underlying muscle. During a dual plane augmentation the breast tissue in the lower part of the breast is separated from the underlying muscle. The muscle is then released along its entire attachment at the bottom of the breast. The muscle then moves upward like a window shade toward the nipple. With the restriction of the muscle in the lower part of the breast removed the implant is then allowed to fill the loose sagging part of the lower breast. This is a very effective technique to help prevent the need for a breast lift in a patient with a small amount of sag and still have a benefits of an implant placed under the muscle. Good luck.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Dual Plane Is Same as Under the Muscle Breast Augmentation

When the under the muscle technique for breast augmentation ws introduced in the 1980's the implant was placed beneath both the pectoralis and serratus anterior muscles. Over time it was noticed that the serratus coverage pushed the implants too far laterally.  Today an under the muscle plane for a breast implant is genrally used to mean under the pectoralis muscle in the upper portion of the implant and under the breast in the lower portion of the implant. The term dual plane and submuscular are used interchangeably by most plastic surgeons.

Mary Lee Peters, MD